Lead Paint Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My 1930's house still has all the original doors, some of which are painted. I intend to strip them all back and restore them to their former glory, but I'm worried that the existing paint might be lead-based since I've no idea when they were painted.

I've head that you can get lead test kits that allow you to test it for lead content, but I haven't found anywhere that supplies them.

Can anyone offer some advice?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
http://www.bricksandbrass.co.uk/diy/diydangr.htm#lead
Quote:
Lead in Paint
Beware of lead paint. Whereas the removal of paint containing lead should not normally affect adults, it does pose a risk to children. Lead is absorbed through the skin or by ingestion. If your child has been exposed to any kind of lead paint through fumes, flakes or dust, you can have your child tested.

Adults should wear a respirator and ensure good ventilation. Do not eat or drink while working. Keep children away.

If you suspect old paint, make sure you use a paint stripper which creates a poultice which obviates the need for scraping and avoids fumes. All other paint removal methods pose a threat to young children. Chemical strippers generate fumes which may carry lead. Blow lamps and hot air strippers generate fumes and dust. Make sure you do not produce dust by sanding or scraping as this is very dangerous.

If you leave the work area, remove your work clothing and shoes.

After completing the work, clean the area with a HEPA-standard vacuum cleaner. Wash down the stripped surfaces and flooring nearby, using a detergent. Bag up all clothes and wash them thoroughly, separately from other clothes.

May I suggest sending them off to be dipped in acid, I sent all mine off and it was only 8.00 a door, and they collect them and bring them back, maybe someone in your area does this same service.

P.S. - they look fabulous when they come back..................... :)

As above...

I wouldnt attempt to strip a door manually...its horrible hard boring work, and will cost you a lot more in stripper than having the doors dipped.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice - what sort of place should i look for with regards to acid dipping? i'm guessing there isn't an "acid dipping" section in the yellow pages... !? thanks

Im not sure what it would be under but it isnt 'acid' dipping' anyway, its caustic..

Try furniture restorers.

Strippers

censored.gif

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n228/JohnD_UK/sexy201.gif

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Heads down...the PC brigade will be on the way in a minute!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back