Stripping lead paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

So I've been stripping paint around the house and then was warned about lead paint on woodwork. I bought some tests and luckily the bannister isn't coming up positive but the skirting boards is undoubtedly lead paint. I have already stripped some and sanded some (stupidly without even having a mask on) and it's on the living room where my toddler plays. Obviously I didn't do this with him around but now I'm stressed about it. I read about sealing it so when I found out I put a quote of zinnsser primer on it to get it sealed so it's no longer exposed. Some of it is still rough so wondering how to smooth this out without sanding? Is it possible? What's the risk? It's been exposed for a little while now while we waited to figure out what to do and although we've had furniture in front of it to block any contact with it I'm really worried about it, not for myself but for my 3 year old. He seems fine but obviously have read that it's long term and don't know what to do! Any advice hugely appreciated

Sponsored Links
Lead is a heavy metal, it doesn't linger in the air and I suppose you've cleaned the area after sanding.
So unless your son starts licking the skirting board, he's not at any risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back