stripping lead paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've got a 200 yr old house, with 200 yrs worth of paint on just about all of the woodwork. We've probably got 15 layers of paint, the top two or three are modern paints, but the rest are probably lead-based. Nitromors gets through the top layers, but the lower layers seem just about impervious to it. Has anyone got any suggestions about how we can get through it? I know we could get it dipped and stripped, but to be honest that seems like a very expensive option when I think about just how much woodwork there is!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Where's the benefit in stripping it? Get some green 60 grit and 120 grit sandpaper (good stuff) and sand it smooth (just the top layers) and leave the other stuff underneath.

Basically, you are using the previous paint coats as a primer/undercoat. Then when it's all nice and smooth you give it a top coat of undercoat then gloss.

If you strip it - then you've got all the faults and grain to deal with.

Try a window and you'll see what I mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back