Removing layers of paint from woodwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a bit new to this, so sorry for the dumb questions. I'm renovating my bedroom and the woodwork has 3 layers of gloss paint on it. What would be the best thing to get through the paint quickly? I've tried painting on a paint stripper, and that seems to still require a lot of scraping to get through the paint. Should I try sanding, or is that not worth it when there is 3 layers of paint?

I also have the same problem with my old 1930's chunky radiators and pipes. Given the awkwardness of the task, will it be enough to just slightly sand them down before painting, or do I need to completely strip all the paint off first? Also, do I just use normal gloss paint on radiators and pipe work?

Sponsored Links
Have you tried a hot air paint stripper on the wood?..that normally does the job, and without scorching the surface.

As for the rads id get them dipped, it will work out cheaper in the long run and youl have a better job.

They are probably cast iron so prime with zinc phosphate (which is the posh name for oil based all purpose primer) or red oxide then paint with what ever you want...but stick to an oil based.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back