How to paint peeling paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a wooden window sill which has multiple layers of gloss paint. A large section of it has peeled off to barewood. Now the surface level between the remaining paint and the bare wood is almost 2-3 mm.

How do I repaint the sill so that I get a nice overall even surface - I've tried to sand the existing paint but with it being gloss it just clogs up the sand paper. I've tried to scrape it all off to barewood as well but it's proving very difficult.

What are the options here. Do I need to layer the paint on the barewood until I build up an evenness with the existing paint?

Any tips, advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Most decorators use 2-pack filler (polyester resin) to fill those kinds of voids, however there is a risk of it expanding and contracting at a different rate (and thus failing). If you decide to go down that route it would be a good idea to spot prime first.

A more expensive option is to use an epoxy 2-pack filler. They are more flexible than the polyester resin fillers.

https://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/repair-care-dry-flex-sf-180ml-2027105

You have to be really religious about mixing epoxy resins though. If you aren't they will take ages to harden.

Alternatively consider Footprint's advice. Oh, and if you are hand sanding, buy a cork sanding block. It is less than a quid but saves on elbow grease.

The fact that the gloss is clogging your paper makes me think it is either waterbased gloss (always a mare to sand) or you are using rubbish paper, or that the gloss is only a few weeks old. I am currently painting MDF doors for a customer. The doors looked fine when I primed them but after sanding the primer I can see slight chips in some of the edges. I have had to apply the oilbased eggshell really heavily on the door edges to fill the dinks. If I were using regular sand papers I would have to wait a week or two before sanding away the excess paint due t the paper clogging. I am using the Festool Granat mesh (which is similar to the Mirka Abranet paper). Being a mesh it doesn't clog. I can sand the paint flat the next day. Both are available in roll form.

Sponsored Links
Agree Mirka is good stuff can be used with dust extraction hose kit too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back