Paint for woodwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since gloss paint had the amount of VOC's reduced to 'help the environment' i have found that gloss paint yellows far too quickly (even in non smoking households). I have recently had an extension added and decided to stain the wood work rather that white gloss it because of this. The extension makes one room in my home into a much larger room and the rad in this existing room needed painting. I am not keen on radiator paint as its water based and doesnt give as good a finish as oil based paints.

After chatting to my local decorating centre i decided to go with 'Dacrylate Implamel vehicle, machinery and plant finishes white' paint. It is not more expensive that Gloss, is oil based but it cant be thinned down with normal paint thinners. It says on the tin 'thinners if required R1 brushing R70 spraying'. This paint smells different to gloss paint but does give a lovely smooth finish

My question is, when i decorate other rooms in my home, can i use this paint on the woodwork?

Sponsored Links
Why not paint an offcut of timber and leave it in the garage and see what it dries like, that's the easiest way to find out I think.

I am wanting to paint woodwork that has already been painted, this paint will stick well to previously painted surfaces.

What i meant was if this paint is good at staying white, why not paint the woodwork with it. Is there any downsides to this paint? I am guessing there must be some downside to it or all decorators would use it instead of standard gloss

The paintwork i want to paint is door frames, skirtings etc.

Gloss paints, since they reduced the amount of VOC's dont stay white long enough for my liking, they yellow too quickly. The paint mentioned in my original post (apparently) doesnt yellow anything like normal gloss paint even on radiators but does guive a smooth finish. Does anyone know any negatives to this paint, why dont all decorators use it if it doesnt yellow so quick

Does anyone know of any downsides to this paint?

Sponsored Links
All paints have to conform to the 2010 regs. There are different catagories though depending on medium. Zinc phosphate is usually used as a metal primer but it could be the ZP/alkyd combo puts it into a catagory that allows for higher VOC's (like zinsser bin does). This paint has a very good solids content and high film build which makes sense for steel structures like bridges. It doesn't look that easy to use and unless you buy the thinners looks like you'll have to chuck your brushes. Also be worth checking for any toxicity issues with the ZP the manufacturers web site should have a data sheet on it.

I think your best bet is to email the company.

The trick really is to start looking at water based solutions, the sikkens BL primer/uc and satura are very good and are guaranteed not to yellow and its an excellent white and they have a gloss coming soon, also i think crown are doing quite well with WB gear i'm sure one of the other lads on hear could give advice about them.

Although you cant thin the paint down with normal paint thinners, paint thinners will clean brushes.

I have spoken to the chap in my local paint shop where i bought the paint and he said the only real negative to this paint is that it will get brittle after 3 to 5 years. He said that once the paint has got brittle it could crack if it gets knocked. After this time modern gloss paints will need repainting anyway so i cant see this as much of a negative unless i have to remove it before repainting

I have already used this paint on a radiator and i find it very easy to use, it is a little thinner than normal trade gloss but it isnt hard to use

The problem i have with water based paints is that they dry too quick which makes the finish poor when compared to oil based paints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back