Lead Paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a house which was built in 1928 and i want to strip the paint of the door frames.
I have heard some bad things about lead paint,could the gloss on these door frames be lead paint and if so is it dangerous to use a heat gun to burn of the paint.
If that is the case how should i strip the wood before i repaint it again?

Sponsored Links
Use a chemical paint stripper. If you need to sand it use wet-and-dry, wet, and wipe up dust with a damp rag, throw it away damp. If you have children do not allow then to touch the scrapings or rags. The primer will probably contain lead, as well as the gloss.

Do not burn it, or sand it or scrape it dry. Do not make any dust. Wear gloves and wash exposed skin and hair thoroughly afterwards.

Sadly I know an old builder who has brain damage from lead poisoning.

Yes, it's here ;)

Some more info:

The kits available from DIY stores that sell for £3 - £5 should not be relied upon to test paint for lead. Recent studies have shown them to be inaccurate and unreliable in detecting lead paint. These kits can give false negative or false positive results. The kits are not recommended for testing performed by either homeowners or professional painters & decorators. The most accurate way to test for lead in paint, dust, water or soil is by laboratory analysis.

Sponsored Links
Consider changing the frames, skirtings etc instead of stripping them..its safer and in many cases cheaper and quicker.

goodmow said:
If i take a small piece off can i find someone who will tell me if it contains lead?
yes send it to me with a cheque for £20.00 ....`kin sure there`s lead in it since 1920`s ;) Lead is the new asbestos :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back