lead parapet gutter replace - £1500 or £3000

yes, but isnt the case that if the leads too thin, you cant join it? The guy was only talking about the rubber in the context that either the lead was too thin and couldnt be joined or it was preferable to remove the existing lead completely and replace with the rubber stuff due to the fact that no one knows how far up the render the lead goes.

Saying that - I've noticed some of your past posts - you aint a fan of the rubber then!!

Sponsored Links
picking up this thread again as the original poster - I have made some progress in almost giving the go ahead for all the wrongly installed lead to be ripped out, supporting boards made good, bottom few rows of slate tiles removed, a few slipped slates fixed and the parapet wall coping stones re pointed for £2200 inc vat.

I now find out this evening that 3 years ago all the lead gutter from these 3 terraces properties was nicked. I am now ever so slightly nervous about spending money on this only for it to be stolen again!

Whilst I do understand leadworkers resistance to modern day materials like fibreglass and EPDM etc,is it possiblle to remove the old leadwork etc and re do with these modern materials instead of lead? Is it possible for these materials to perform well and last a long time if installed by the best people possible?

Well I'm hoping so- replaced a lead valley (average 1500 wide x 10000 long, lead was nearly 200 years old and had failed from thermal cracking and bodgers spiking layers of felt through it) with fibreglass. Only been on for 6 months, looks good so far and zero leaks. Properly installed lead will outperform fibreglass but if you've got an issue with roof thieves then it seems to be a good option. And fairly easy to do it yourself (no hot working required)

I would love to do this myself. I'm in a trade myself so extremely practical but sadly 25ft off the ground isnt my idea of fun! Also, our property has the downpipe for 3 roofs and apparently the damp ingress we have is from around the drain hopper area where the rainwater passes through the parapet wall but somehow is soaking into the wall at that point. Fitting fibreglass, rubber or lead around this area would be a right pain I think...

Are there any experts in EPDM or fibreglass in the Gloucestershire area does anyone know? Like some really good people who know what they're doing?

think we will resort to lead though....

Sponsored Links
Have you considered zinc or stainless steel.
It's the modern day equivalent to lead and is being used on churches where the lead has been stolen.
It will also last a lifetime. :mrgreen:

Have you considered zinc or stainless steel.
It's the modern day equivalent to lead and is being used on churches where the lead has been stolen.
It will also last a lifetime. :mrgreen:

lol, sounds like a job for an engineering company, TIG welding and all that. hmmm maybe not such a dumb idea that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back