Lead valley leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just had a lead valley start to leak on a new roof (2 weeks old).

Obviously will get roofer back. The lead overlaps are not soldered and the water seems to be tracking back under the these joints.

Is it normal practice to solder the joints?. If not what is the best stuff to seal the joints, solder or another sealer?.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi. Just to picture in my mind is it a valley between two tiled or slated areas with a pitch of say 25 degrees. or a gutter (very little fall, almost flat) In either case soldering or sealant is not required. Take a look at the Sheet Lead Association tec. web site this may help to identify the practice to use. Good Luck

Hi Charlie, at a guess i would say that he has probably just rolled the lead and dressed it in to the valley boards and the boards do not have a lip( small angle piece of wood) fitted down the edge from top to bottom, this helps stop any water flowing in to the roof at the edge of the lead.
If the valley boards didn't have a lip he could have just returned the lead at both edge widths and that would have done the trick.
As Justlead says you don't weld the joints at the lap point as this would just restrict any movement of the lead

Sponsored Links
the lead sheet association say that drips between sections should be at least 50mm, mine is 18mm, this combined with water pooling could be the problem?

would the best thing to do be fibreglassing the lot (8m x 1m), and selling the lead

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back