Lead Water Main Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post so be gentle. I've had a search around but not found definitive answers to the following problems and arguably this could be in the Building bit.

I'm sorting out an ex police house that currently has a lead main coming up in the kitchen that goes down and out under an extension (police office) and to the stop cock out the front of the house about 10m away. I am intending on running gas to the front of the house and a new "blue" water main round the back of the house (about 17m) and I am bricking it :). Access to the rear of the house where I want the new watermain to come up is difficult due to drains pretty much crossing any path I want to take the new main water pipe down. So I can't just run a straight line from the existing stop cock to the back of the house. I have a few questions that would ease my mind if answered:

1. Can I lay gas and water main in the same hole? Seems to be a yes but not sure on specs for distance apart?

2. Do I need to lay the new water main in 100 pipe all the way or just where it would enter under the house +750mm deep.

3. Am I better trying to bend the water main over a distance to do a horizontal 90 degree (into the side of the house) and then vertical 90 degree (up into the utility room) or should I use 90 degree fittings.

4. Am I ok putting the trench down a concrete drive and under a wooden garage that sits on a concrete plinth in order to lay the new water main which will then be backfilled and concreted over?

5. I know I'll need to be careful but am I alright digging underneath the drains to lay gas and water under them where there paths cross?

6. I'm planning on hiring a digger and a pneumatic concrete breaker thingy and doing this myself but am I being daft, would it be expensive to get someone else to do it (with a mole?), anyone know anyone that would do it in the north east?

Cheers

Tim

Sponsored Links
1, Yes at different depths.

2, The pipe should be laid on sand an covered with sand, the duct is into the building after water inspection.

3, all one pipe.

4, No problem after inspection.

5, No the gas will be only 450mm and not directly over the water. you would need to get the utilities involved, assuming it's a service pipe, and in any case not a diy job.

6, Get a price is the only way to know that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks doitall, thats way laid some fear :).

John506 I think if I asked my Corgi registered plumber to dig big trenches out the front of my house he'd kindly tell me to f**k off :). Don't, to my knowledge need to be corgi registered to dig the holes but thanks for trying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back