lead work above a bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all i hope someone can help. we have just had some lead flashing above our bay window from 5lb lead. however the lead shows the beating,or working marks and im not sure if it is just rough or to be expected. there are no cracks or anything but ive never seen the lead before it weathers so it realy catches the eye
many thanks

Sponsored Links
in the end i altered the lead work he had done folded it the correct way and knocked out the rough arse curtain effect.
He came that night to finish off and i had a word showed him what i had done, let him finish and told him the other work due to be done on the rest of the house would be done by me
it was like beating a puppy sad rough git.

Best put some photos of your work up so we can scrutinise/praise you ;)

Sponsored Links
Wow...thats shocking mate. Those corners should be bossed down on the corners so that its flat like the rest of the drip edge.

What length and code is that lead by the way?

calder code 4 450mm wide with code 4 150 wide piece on top overlapping by around 75mm.
I note with interest the reference to the corner finish i would be grateful for a better discription of the finish, a photo or a web link.

Done by a " roofer" not a Time served plumber : Guess which I am ;) Code 4 is 4pound ( per sq. foot weight) code 3, 5, etc. all pro rata . So your " roofer" can`t use a set of scales , unless he`s weighing in the scrap lead :rolleyes: Give him an enema of Patination Oil too :LOL:

What's going on immediately above the lead? You really require a leaded drip cap ( a throated, wood angle fillet flashed with lead), pointed into the brick bed. Code 4 is sufficient for bossing in and around the angle.

1.5m or five feet is max length for lead.

The bottom "lip" thats rolled in will, over time, droop and the flashing may begin to flap and even split.

Is this flashing covering some unsightly detailing above the frame?

Hi all
Still monsoon weather so no new photo yet.
nigel Im not too sure what your imput refered to however the size/quality of the lead was taken by me off the "new" roll i saw him unwrap and work ( alas not magic but there you go)
He was recomended to me by a now very apologetic friend as a " qualified old style plumber" who had done a lot of lead work.
The top lead was wrapped to a fascia board and the lead face finised on the same plane as the brickwork above. the lead went into the wall by 15-20mm and the gap between lead and brickwork pointed with lead mate.
when the rain stops the photo will show all
thanks to all for the input :

Hi all
nigel Im not too sure what your input refered to - thanks to all for the input :
Most people don`t ;) It`s just that you said originally that you`d had some work done in 5lb. lead - Which it should have been - you got 4lb. and unfortunately someone who can`t work it :cry: Patination Oil should have been used to coat the finished lead and stop it leaving white deposits where water runs off it . ( using it as an enema on the "roofer" was a joke )

Thanks for the clarification< and education> that rough git aint comming on my property again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back