Removing paint from lead flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently moved house and the previous owners have painted the lead flashing above a bay window. It's looking a bit shabby now and peeling off to some degree. Not sure what paint it is but how could I remove it?

Also, I've seen people advise not to paint lead flashing but we are where we are and I'm guessing I'm not going to remove the existing paint well enough to just oil it (plus I'd like it to be white...). Therefore, what's the best way of re-painting it?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I have only attempted it once. I used paint stripper and a webrax pad. I clearly didn't want to sand it given the lead dust. I managed to remove the paint, and then tried to polish the lead with new webrax pads but even after wiping it with patination oil their were some white markings from the water. The fact that I did it during a rainy season didn't help.

Nevertheless it was a massive improvement. Be advised that the water used to wash the paint stripper off will turn the lead white. You then need to use the pads to remove that, however if it rains before you get to use the patination oil you will get white streaks again.

Wear mask and gloves.

Edit-----------

Sorry, just noticed that you want it to be white. Perhaps follow my advice and don't use the patination oil. In time it will become a dusty white- that might not be the look you are after though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back