Lead/ Zinc or another roof flashing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently, some chavs got up onto the extension of my rental property and stole all of the lead flashing that 'joined' a ground floor roof (the extension) with the wall of the house, and nextdoors house. They broke a few tiles in the process, which is annoying but not the end of the world.

My question is, is there a decent replacement that could be used that maybe isnt so desirable for chavs and the like. Im also thinking as budget as i can. I'm confident that given the right guidance here, i could do it myself as ive done quite a lot of stuff, plastering, plumbing etc. I'd prefer not lead as it will likely get ripped off again.

Any cheap suggestions and sources for them would be great. I think im looking at 9m length total x 30cm (or whatever the standard is). What kind of prices should i expect?

Kindest regards to all more experienced than I, Hockayak

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As a DIYer I've used Ubiflex here for a Valley Guttering (500mm wide) and in France for chimney, dormer window valleys and wall abutment flashing on a stone built house. (In France, lead is not allowed).
I'd happily add my reccomendation. To all intents and purposes, it's used just like lead.
It's not much cheaper than lead but, obviously, in the long term, if you don't need to replace it, it is cheaper.

Such a great information… Soft Zinc is the environmentally correct solution for replacing lead flashing. If you're a contractor, installer or roofer and you're not using Soft Zinc, you're missing an opportunity to sell your clients an eco-friendly, cost-saving option on their roofing projects. I'd happily add my recommendation. I like these all links which is very helpful for me..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back