Damp from roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a damp issue, paint peeling and water marks at the interface of the original building and extension.

I looked at the roof. See two photos. The photos show the pitched roof of the extension, where it joins the original building wall. The render on the wall of the original building is shaped to dump water on pitched roof and lead flashing

The leading does not look very neat where it sits on the extension and I wonder if water could track under the lead. Also wonder if soakers installed

1.jpg

2.jpg

Sponsored Links
I see no sign of a soaker anywhere.
Looks like the lead maybe holed?? or an illusion..

Attachments

• hole1.jpg
    hole1.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 79
Thanks datarebal

I did not see soakers, but also not totally sure what they woould look like when installed. I'll take a closer look to see if there is a hole in the lead.

If no soakers will they need to be retro fitted. They have covered up, above the pitched roof, with render. Not sure if render is waterproof

Sponsored Links
Stevecc,
As catlad noted the lead flashing is wrong for those tiles.
You also have an issue with the perished roofing felt/membrane where it laps into the gutter.

Dont touch the render where it projects on a Bellcast - just leave it alone.
Lift the existing lead flashing back up to vertical.
Then remove, & place to one side, the tiles that butt the wall.

Then install soakers from the bottom up to the tile below the ridge.
Re-installing the tiles as you set the soakers.
Carefully ease the lead cover flashing back down, & lightly dress it into place.

The issue with the frayed roofing felt would be improved with installing a Plastic Eaves Tray, & a length of say 600mm deep felt over the tray.

I looked at the roof more closely today

I can confirm that there are no holes in the lead

I don't think the roof is the source of the dampness. Althougth it does not have soakers it will probably stop water ingress. Any rainwater that strikes the wall or side of the roof in the corner will be directed down the roof to the gutter by the lead and tiles. Any water that gets under the lead or tiles will get directed to the gutter by the underlay, which is turned up at the wall.

I will put soakers in and a eaves tray at some point but need to address dampness first

3.jpg

4.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back