Confused - flashing, soakers, render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm confused. Where a pitched roof runs with a wall to one side do you have soakers (lead under tile) and then flashing on top of the tile as well, or is it one or the other? And do I use soaker secret gutter?

Plus the wall is to rendered so is the top flashing just screwed under the stop bead or do I cut a channel in the blocks? Everything that google turns up seems to be brick based.

BTW tiles are double roman.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The type of tiles determine what leadwork is required at the wall junction. Render is cut off and any flashing fixed into the wall.

You would not have a stepped flashing with render, but cut a continuous straight slot

Thanks. I've seen a picture of bellcast bead screwed over lead so the lead goes up behind the render, rather than be fixed into a slot. Would that not work too? I should add that this is a porch roof so the wall is outside always, no cavity trays needed (I think).

yep that would work too, make sure you use stainless fixings and washers though.
Ideally a secret gutter at the abutment to guard against driving rain but that said I have seen tons of abutments with profiled tiles where the cover flashing has just gone beyond the up turned profile without leaking.

Sponsored Links
I'm inclined to agree for the little effort it takes, you will be fine but if your rendering fails at any point there is always the outside possibility that water could track down behind the flashing

That why I said this is a porch so the outside wall stays the outside wall. If the render failed then I'd see water on the wall at the front door.

Well, it's not that important and it would tell me the render had failed so it's a moot point. Maybe it would be useful to know the render has failed before it falls off and breaks the porch tiles.....

Malc, some tiles are double lapped (little ones, plain tiles) these have soakers. Some tiles are single lapped (big ones like yours) these have cover flashings. There is a type of single lap tile (big ones) that have a completely flat profile these have secret gutters.
Your solution to the flashing is fine.
Make sure the lead is wide enough to cover the first roll and use maximum 1.5m lengths.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back