Leak behind soffit boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Ive just checked the guttering on the annex roof. Its leaking behind the soffit(?). How could that happen? The guttering itself seems fine/sturdy.

20220908_122605.jpg

This is the view from above.

20220908_122618.jpg

Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The ends of the wiggly tin look open. If that is just a narrow strip of rubber which hangs into the gutter water might run back along the top of it, under the sheets, and and drip off the other side of it behind the fascia. If it is a full rubber roof under the tin then the water might be finding its way through the holes punched through the rubber to fix the tin.

Thanks! I will investigate further.
I always wondered whether than rubber thing was doing more harm than good - it means I cant clean the gutter! If I remove it I wonder whether that means the water will run off the sheets into the gutter.

Sponsored Links
The sheets are not going into the gutter.
May be best to find the same profile of sheet and extend each one into the gutter. Will need to be able to trim the sheets down to tuck them under but probably the best option. Driving rain will be getting behind the rubber by the looks of it

From the photo the whole thing looks poor. The fixings usually go in the top part of the sheet not the low part where most of the water sits. The sheets should extend to the middle of the gutter. Fillers are available to fit in the end of the sheets to reduce the water blowing back under the sheet. The main problem is that those sheets are not really suitable for roof pitches lower than about 5 degrees and your roof looks almost flat. An EDPM roof might be better in this situation.

Thanks guys. I had cowboys work on the house. All the jobs they did looked superficially ok, but over the past 5 years Ive had to have most of the work done again. :mad: . So its no surprise the whole thing looks poorly done.

@pcaouolte : Do you know what that filler stuff is called? I dont even know what to Google for! ("roof filler stuff"?)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Haha - fantastic - thankyou!

I will investigate further tomorrow. Probably best thing to do is extend the roof a few inches further into the gutter. And also buy the foam filler stuff.

Take the rubber out it is diverting the overspill back in to the building.

With it being so flat you need to bend the edges of the sheets with a pair of pliers to create a drip edge, as Alistair has said get rid of the rubber, its a bodge because the sheets are too small. Have a look when its raining it should become obvious what's happening.

From the photo the whole thing looks poor. The fixings usually go in the top part of the sheet not the low part where most of the water sits.

No they don't - the fixings have to be bottom, the proper fixings, which those are, include a seal under the head. If you attempt to fix through the high part, the channel would just crush down.

Haha - fantastic - thankyou!

I will investigate further tomorrow. Probably best thing to do is extend the roof a few inches further into the gutter. And also buy the foam filler stuff.

They make a plastic seal specially profiled to seal the ends of the panel. It comes as 2x 1m strips, which can be just pushed into place under the sheet.

The metal sheets do look as if they are two short to reach the gutter, hence why they attempted to use the rubber. You will need some more of the sheet metal to extend it, the extension piece will need to be at least little longer then to reach to beyond the final fixing bolts and as above, bend the outside edge down, to encourage it to drip into the gutter.

I forgot to mention - You will need tin-snips to cut the sheets. The cut very easily, you can almost cut them with a decent pair of scissors and it's important that they are snipped - The snipping process, spreads the galv to cover the cut edge to prevent rusting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back