Water Leaking Into Soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just after a bit of advice regarding a leak I have.

See attached photos, in January I had an issue where water was leaking into the room below. the lead was extended and sealed, and all was ok.

I have now noticed another issue, with heavy rain I am getting water dripping through the soffit, where the blue dot is on the photo.

The water is then leaking into the front of the room.

Just wondered what is more likely that it is leaking somewhere further up the roof and coming down the felt into the soffit or somehow leaking in the front 2 rows of tiles. Gutter seems to retain a bit of water so slope might not be ideal but wouldn’t of fought it’s enough to overflow into the soffit.

Deabting whether to get up there myself and see if I can see anyting obvious or get a roofer in.
roof.JPG
roof1.JPG
IMG_8642(1).JPG

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Just wondered what is more likely that it is leaking somewhere further up the roof
It was my first thought; sliding a couple of tiles up so the felt is visible would let you see potentialls see water trails on the felt, or sprinkle some powder paint in there to see if it tints the drips. Could be an issue with the flashing at the end of the dormer valley

You can check the gutter function with a hose if you can't wait for rain

On the question of getting up there yourself vs a roofer, do gear up so if you fall there aren't any ill effects. A pro that does it all day every day would probably happily scamper around a slope like that with no safety backup but if you're not used to it it's where things go wrong. You can get brackets to convert an ordinary ladder into a cat ladder that hooks over the ridge; worth doing and seek to work from the ladder rather than clambering on the tiles

Last edited:
Mulling over if I should get involved myself or get someone in!

Also, have had water come down the outside brickwork on the left of the window, below the outside sill.

Sponsored Links
It was my first thought; sliding a couple of tiles up so the felt is visible would let you see potentialls see water trails on the felt, or sprinkle some powder paint in there to see if it tints the drips. Could be an issue with the flashing at the end of the dormer valley

You can check the gutter function with a hose if you can't wait for rain

On the question of getting up there yourself vs a roofer, do gear up so if you fall there aren't any ill effects. A pro that does it all day every day would probably happily scamper around a slope like that with no safety backup but if you're not used to it it's where things go wrong. You can get brackets to convert an ordinary ladder into a cat ladder that hooks over the ridge; worth doing and seek to work from the ladder rather than clambering on the tiles
Would the first row push up or be nailed?

Thanks again

Try the second course .
Flashings look a mess and Likley the cause .
Get it done properly and forget

Many thanks, like you say, might have to just get it done professionally but just trying to save money where possible if it’s something I can have a look at myself,

With tiled roofs if the course you want to access is nailed, you find a course further up that isn't nailed, push up to access the nails of the lower course(s) and then remove the nails/tiles to come down to where you want to access

Many thanks, like you say, might have to just get it done professionally but just trying to save money where possible if it’s something I can have a look at myself,
I understand that, but it's a mess already .so not fair on yourself .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back