Water dripping out of soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Moved in to a house 4 weeks ago, With all this rain I have noticed water dripping out of the soffit vent either side of the valley. Red arrows in the picture.
Roof inside loft is dry, but want to sort out where the water is getting in to the soffit to stop it rotting the joists.
Anyone got any ideas on where to start to look? Or a decent roofer in the Basildon, Essex area?

Many thanks
Ads

Attachments

• Roof soffit leak.jpg
    Roof soffit leak.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's not flowing down the back of the gutter down the fascia onto the soffit?

The arrows point to high flow from the valleys and tiles.

Blup

Are you sure it's not flowing down the back of the gutter down the fascia onto the soffit?

The arrows point to high flow from the valleys and tiles.

Blup
I'm fairly confident that it's getting in to behind the fascia as it's dripping from the soffit vents and not off the bottom of the fascia. You can actually see the water on the vent in this picture.

Attachments

• 20210204_154807.jpg
    20210204_154807.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 756
Sponsored Links
Rotten eaves felt
I did wonder that myself but shouldn't the roof be water tight with the felt being the last defence?
Or am i being unrealistic?

Only been here a few weeks but the plan is new soffits, fascias and guttering in a year or so.

Any felt that drapes into the gutter rots after a few years due to UV. There should be plastic eaves trays fitted into the gutter.

If this is the problem, water tracks back into the soffit instead of going in to the gutter

Any felt that drapes into the gutter rots after a few years due to UV. There should be plastic eaves trays fitted into the gutter.

If this is the problem, water tracks back into the soffit instead of going in to the gutter
Ah so it's potentially being blown back up under the tile rather than coming down under the tiles.

Lead at bottom of valley not turned up on edges under the tiles
Are these what they call Welts? Or do you just mean the edge as thr lead protudes from the tile?
I've called 2 roofers to come and have a look to see what they think. But it seems so difficult to get anyone around.

You could call then welts, we tend to call them turn ups . Edge of lead turned back on its self . But not flattened.
It will be out of sight under the tile

Everyone is busy, some are not working

You could call then welts, we tend to call them turn ups . Edge of lead turned back on its self . But not flattened.
It will be out of sight under the tile

Everyone is busy, some are not working
Thanks for the explanation. Yes true. Hopefully one will get back to me and I'll see what they say. I'll make sure i update this thread with my findings. Hopefully an easy fix.

Ok eventually got a roofer around after the snow had cleared. He has said that the lead is quite thin and not very well supported behind the Facia. He has suggested as it is only a small domer to remove the tiles, put new thicker lead on and also more support near to the Facia board. To do both valleys he is quoting £900 inc VAT.
Does this sound like the right course of action of over the top to fix this? Many thanks

How does that explain the vegetation in the soffit vents and the paint blown from the soffit and back of fascia - both of which are typically water related?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back