Help with water ingress

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi , thanks for adding me to the site, I have a problem with rain water getting in to the cavity wall, which then escapes via the top of a window frame and also a patio door frame, never seen anything like it before, it has only ever happened during a storm like storm Ciara. I've been into the loft and checked for water trail marks on the rafters but all is clean and dry, the loft insulation is damp where it meets the soffits, but only on top, underneath is dry, my guess is that the guttering is being overrun during extremely heavy rain and getting into the soffit space, it is difficult to get to it in the loft, but I can see that the inside of the soffit is dirty, as though it has carried water. is this a likely scenario?
I would be grateful for any help and advice to try and solve this problem.
I have attached a couple of pics of the roofline and guttering.
many thanks
Steve.

Attachments

• 20211215_133520.jpg
    20211215_133520.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 20211215_133524.jpg
    20211215_133524.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 108
Sponsored Links
Th dirty gutters suggests that the eaves felt is rotten and water is not going into the gutter. It may need plastic eaves trays to be fitted if non are fitted now.

But fundamentally there may be no cavity tray to stop water running down the cavity. This is a common issue when conservatories are fitted retrospectively.

So first determine if the water is entering via the face of the wall or the cavity at the top via the eaves.

Then search the forum (or the building section) for cavity tray information. An option may be to coat the wall with a clear waterproofer if that is the
cause of the ingress

Thanks for the speedy replies, I'd never heard of cavity trays before, so I'm just doing some swatting up on them now, am I right in thinking they should be installed above the window and patio doors that are now inside the conservatory?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back