Steel coated insulated lean to garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a lean to garage roof constructed with 50mm contoured steel panel as per the roofing sheet picture. The flashing to the house wall is a top edge flashing similar to the second picture.
Until recently my garage has been water tight, however storms ciara and dennis seems to have changed that.
It seems during very heavy rain and extreme westerly winds water is being blown up along the "lands" under the flashing.
Clearly proper applied lead flashing would be the best solution, but can anyone suggest an alternative "quick and dirty" method.

Attachments

• Roofing Sheet.png
    Roofing Sheet.png
    433 KB · Views: 338
  • wall_abutment.png
    wall_abutment.png
    33 KB · Views: 632
  • Roofing Sheet.png
    Roofing Sheet.png
    433 KB · Views: 276
  • wall_abutment.png
    wall_abutment.png
    33 KB · Views: 298
Sponsored Links
Quick and shoddy would be expanding foam under that cover flashing. Slightly slower but (IMHO) slightly less shoddy would be plastic bags full of loft insulation under that flashing. You could try Flashband but it probably wouldn't look pretty. All these are going to involve getting to that roof/wall interface which might be tricky...
I used similar profile GRP sheets for my garage roof- at the top end I fixed 3" PVC angle under the sheets and siliconed it to the sheets to form a dam to avoid that problem. No use to you now I know...

Dear oldbutnotdead. Thank you for your suggestion. I like your idea of using plastic bags, but wondered if instead of loft insulation, I could cut lengths of foam pipe lagging to fit the width of the valleys put them in suitable and tuck them under the flashing?

Sponsored Links
Doesn't the manufacturer of the roofing sheets provide a profiled filler to match the corrugated sheets to fit under the flashing to prevent water blowing up and under the flashing :?:

Dear oldbutnotdead. Thank you for your suggestion. I like your idea of using plastic bags, but wondered if instead of loft insulation, I could cut lengths of foam pipe lagging to fit the width of the valleys put them in suitable and tuck them under the flashing?
Yes that would probably work, it doesn't take much to stop uphill wind driven rain. Make sure the pipe lagging is well under the flashing, it degrades quite fast under sunlight and rain (used some on an outside pipe, fell to bits after a few years).

Dear oldbutnotdead Thank you for your advice. I will do this when/if it ever stops raining!

OK
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Learn more

Cookie Consent plugin for the EU cookie law

Accessories - Foam Fillers
Profiled foam fillers are used to fill the gaps created by profiles roof sheeting at the ridge and eaves. Manufactured from hard wearing polyethylene foam profiled eaves fillers and profiled ridge fillers seal the roof voids to prevent dust, water ingress and can deter birds and rodents from entering and nesting.

• Bi-colour fillers available (Black on one side white on the other)
  • Sold as pairs (long flute and short flute foam fillers)
  • The "Long Flute" half of the pair will sit on top of the sheeting and fill the profile between the sheet and the ridge or abutment flashing
  • The "Short Flute" half of the pair is pinned below the sheet at the eaves line
  • Should be fitted whilst fixing sheets and flashings so that either the main fix screw pins the filler in place whilst fixing the sheets at the eaves, or so that the stitcher screw pins the filler down while adding ridge or abutment flashings
  • If used on a free standing mono pitched roof with no flashings two pairs of fillers will be required per sheet width so that a short flute half can be used at both the front and the back
Other foam fillers are available, if you cannot find the profile taht you are looking for please contact us

All prices are exclusive of VAT

Foam Filler - MW5 Profile
£1.97

Foam Filler - 1000/32B Profile
£1.97

Foam Filler - 1000/32C Profile
£1.97

£2.06

Foam Filler - KS1000 Profile
£1.96

Foam Filler - 1000/26 Profile
£1.79

Foam Filler - 1000/32EQ Profile
£1.94

Foam Filler - 900/26 Profile
£1.79

Foam Filler - HI-30 Profile
£1.88

Foam Filler - Monad Profile
£3.92

Foam Filler - TR333 Profile (long flute)
£1.70

Foam Filler - 1000/32EC Profile
£1.94

Foam Filler - 1000/32EP Profile
£1.94

Foam Filler - 1000/33NC Profile
£1.94

Foam Filler - 1000/20 Profile
£1.79

Roofing News
Trex Decking

Southern Sheeting Ltd. Hill Place Farm, Turners Hill Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex RH19 4LX
Registered in England No. 8557784 VAT No. GB 339 9207 25
Copyright © 2013, Southern Sheeting Ltd. All rights reserved.
Refund Policy | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Terms of Service

This is the sort of thing I meant. Don't know your particular sheeting profile.

Dear Leofric. Thank you for the link. If my lengths of pipe cladding don't work, I will order correct profile as you kindly suggest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back