new garage roof trusses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all building a new garage and want to use rafters to give maximum headroom the width of the rafter would be 16ft
can I use 100mm x 50mm steel box section with timber noggins the roofing would be box profile sheets
it is of lean to construction bolted to an existing wall and a new outer block wall
what spacings would be recommended the length is 17ft

Sponsored Links
in steel u can use shallower rafters in timber I think I would need rafter 2 to 2.5 times thicker limiting headroom I only have 2050mm to top of roofing sheet at the eaves so with rafters and sheets in steel will have around 6ft in timber around 5 ft

Sponsored Links
need someone to confirm that 100 x 50 steel is ok as headroom height is so important and or what size timber could be used in its place

Good luck if you get someone to calculate that for free on a forum, and accept the liability

ok no one like steel what size timbers do I need 6x2 7x2 8x2 etc they can be braced top and bottom at 45 degrees to the walls if required

If using timber on a 16ft span, you would be looking at 8x2s.
Even 100x50 box section might bend a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back