max span for lean to garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wanting to build a new garage with lean to roof rather length will be 4.8m It will be adjoined to a neighbours house so I don't want any load on their house
I was thinking a rsj 6m long running the length of the garage supported on steel posts next to the neighbours house to support the rafters
it will be lightweight steel roof sheeting so would the rafters be better in steel or timber and any clue on sizes
the existing garage has 6x2 timbers and spaced at 1250mm but only 9ft wide

Sponsored Links
For a span of 4.8 meters you are probably looking at 9x3 rafter that's working it out on a 400 mm spacing

what size rsj and posts do people think and if I used steel rafters could I get away with 3 or 4 with timber purlins running length ways

Sponsored Links
You could bring your timber sizes down a bit by moving the supporting beam in a bit, and cantilevering the last meter or so with it being a light weight roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back