Sealent for flashing and roof tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my garage roof as the main roof downpipe splashes all the water on to it. When there is heavy rain the water gushes into the flashing and roof titles joints resulting in the leaks below.

Kindly recommend me some good waterproof sealant to seal the flashing lead and title.

See the picture.

IMG_1629.JPG

Many Thanks,

Sponsored Links
The flashing isn't perfect to be honest.
However, its common place now days to use Leadmate or Flashpoint mastics made for the job.
They are to point the flashing into the brickwork. Mortar can fail as your is.
The lead does not appear to cover the roof tiles enough.
And no cavity trays.

Last edited:
Cut the bottom of the down pipe at the clip and, using a couple of 45* fittings, turn the vertical down pipe into an extended length of sloping pipe, clipped to the wall, & dropping to discharge in the gutter.

The flashing isn't perfect to be honest.
However, its common place now days to use Leadmate or Flashpoint mastics made for the job.
They are to point the flashing into the brickwork. Mortar can fail as your is.
The lead does not appear to cover the roof tiles enough.
And no cavity trays.

Thanks, The water is not gushing from wall, mainly from the slates / tiles. Is it ok to seal the lead and tiles with leadmate or flashpoint mastic? I did use rubberised water resistant sealant (see link) on the joints (mainly to seal the gap between the flashing and title, not underneath lead) which is mainly for roof and gutter, but it is not drying for last few days.

I think i have to use ( see link)
?

Sponsored Links
Extend the downpipe to discharge further over.

If water is getting under the flashing as you think (which BTW is very unusual in that situation) then there is a problemm with the tiles and underfelt, and sealant wont help, but will look a right mess.

Are you sure that the problem is not a lack cavity trays in the wall?

the flash point is to point the flashing in the brick joints. the mortar is failing.
the flashing has not enough cover over the tiles and could get in in some places.
once the felt is holed or rotted which happens then you have a leak
no cavity trays fitted
it appears there is a ridge that butts a verge at the top. there should be a lead saddle here . often left out.
more pictures of the whole area and inside..

Like datarebel, I too think that the cover flashing should have been extended over the next roll but, given the original post, eliminating the discharge from the down pipe might, if nothing else, remove a large variable from the possibilities.

FWIW: there appears to be a lead saddle or is it the step flashing going over the ridge?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back