leak following new combi boiler installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
to cut a long story short, had a combi boiler installed to replace a water tank boiler.

there were a few complications during the process including the toilet leaking due to the high water pressure. they installed a new valve which sorted out this problem (at my expense obviously).

the latest is since the installation i have been smelling a musty smell in the bedroom. the water tank cupboard is in the bedroom. i haven't been able to work it out for weeks and just assumed it was the result of all the dust flying about during the DIY sessions.

today i had a light bulb moment. i just came out of the bath and realised that the smell was most definitely not there before my bath but definitely there after! so i looked in the cupboard where the water tank was and there was water on the wall and on the floor!

my guess is there is a shower head/unit in the bathroom which was previously powered by a pump. i am assuming that they re-plumbed this directly into the water pipes and maybe this is what is causing the leak. i have only been using the shower head attachment rather than taps.

firstly, now that a leak has appeared from the showerhead and the toilet, is there anywhere else that is likely to leak? also, is this normal to be experiencing leaks following a new boiler installation?

also, will they charge me to correct the plumbing - or should this be down to bad workmanship?

have i had work done by cowboys? apparently they are gas safe and i received the gas safe paperwork through last week.

Sponsored Links
As you are now aware, your hot water, courtesy of your combi, is now at mains pressure. Previously the hot water could have been supplied by gravity from a tank in the loft. As this was at much lower pressure, it does stand to reason that any unaltered pipe work should be checked very carefully for leaks, and any redundant features removed at the same time..
Your shower can work straight from the combi too - assuming that your mains flow rate is sufficient, of course.
John :)

As you are now aware, your hot water, courtesy of your combi, is now at mains pressure. Previously the hot water could have been supplied by gravity from a tank in the loft. As this was at much lower pressure, it does stand to reason that any unaltered pipe work should be checked very carefully for leaks, and any redundant features removed at the same time..
Your shower can work straight from the combi too - assuming that your mains flow rate is sufficient, of course.

how to showerheads that are powered by pumps work? are they connected to the watertank? in which case something would have been done.

But why are you not asking your boiler installer who knows your property and how the boiler has been installed?

Ton

Sponsored Links
But why are you not asking your boiler installer who knows your property and how the boiler has been installed?

Ton

He is coming tomorrow. I just don't want to be taken for a fool!

The hot supply for your shower comes straight from the combi, and the cold straight from the mains supply. There's no need for pumps or a separate tank at all, but a thermostatic shower thats designed for high pressure is the way to go. Your combi will usually only comfortably supply one demand i.e one tap, one shower etc.
I don't think your installer has thought this one through!

The hot supply for your shower comes straight from the combi, and the cold straight from the mains supply. There's no need for pumps or a separate tank at all, but a thermostatic shower thats designed for high pressure is the way to go. Your combi will usually only comfortably supply one demand i.e one tap, one shower etc.
I don't think your installer has thought this one through!

the pump shower was already there. the shower seems to connect to the cupboard where the water tank is so i am assuming it has just been plumbed into the same water supply as the bath taps? it's nothing fancy just an old thing! i recently moved here so everything is still new to me!

leaks are not a direct consequence of fitting a new boiler.

They result because hot and cold supplies are now mains water pressurised.

I always advise the customer with the boiler quote that this can happen and give an indication of the likely costs to cure.

Many then choose someone quoting the same price but not pointing out the possibilities. Presumably they think that if not mentioned then they will not happen!

As you can see I think your installer should have pointed them out to you1

Tony

leaks are not a direct consequence of fitting a new boiler.

They result because hot and cold supplies are now mains water pressurised.

I always advise the customer with the boiler quote that this can happen and give an indication of the likely costs to cure.

Many then choose someone quoting the same price but not pointing out the possibilities. Presumably they think that if not mentioned then they will not happen!

As you can see I think your installer should have pointed them out to you1

Tony

i would have preferred if these things were mentioned. i had quite a few quotes and not one of them mentioned anything!!

i am a little bit cross because after day 1 of boiler installation when the toilet issue occured, i did ask them to go through and check that nothing else that could leak would leak!! i even asked them to check the bath... which i was assured had been checked... clearly not though :(

If they caused the leak then they will fix it, if they find that your shower can't be mains fed they will isolate it and probably quote for a replacement. I always do my homework especially on older showers and mention it as a precaution, but a lot of customers think you are trying to get one over them (until it leaks)

If they caused the leak then they will fix it, if they find that your shower can't be mains fed they will isolate it and probably quote for a replacement. I always do my homework especially on older showers and mention it as a precaution, but a lot of customers think you are trying to get one over them (until it leaks)

to be honest, i always prefer to be told the worst case scenario! its a good job i am running behind schedule on the decorating of the rest of the flat - otherwise that cupboard would have been used for storage...

also, if the shower couldn't be used, i would have preferred them to mention this at the start as had i have known this i probably would have asked this to be replaced whilst they were doing all the work... it would have saved them coming back!

is there anything else that is likely to leak? should the bath/basin be checked? also is anything in the kitchen likely to leak following the change?

Our terms and conditions cover us for this kind of problem.

The installers really should have told you and i'm surprised not one of the other bothered to warn of the risks of converting to mains pressure.

The thing is, it is next to impossible to know where a leak will occur other than obvious things like ball valves and showers.

i would have preferred if these things were mentioned. i had quite a few quotes and not one of them mentioned anything!!

i am a little bit cross because after day 1 of boiler installation when the toilet issue occured, i did ask them to go through and check that nothing else that could leak would leak!! i even asked them to check the bath... which i was assured had been checked... clearly not though :(

It's a shame it wasn't mentioned as it should have been, but there is always the risk when increasing the pressure in a system that it will expose weak points, and leaks will develop. This is a problem with your existing installation and not the new boiler.

As for asking them to check everything, that's a bit unreasonable unless you're paying them extra for doing it; there is the possibility that a joint under the floor will leak, are you expecting them to pull up every floor in the house to check every single joint? What's happened is unfortunate, and if you specifically asked them to check something then they should have done, having said that they may have checked and found all to be well at the time, with a leak developing afterwards

Our terms and conditions cover us for this kind of problem.

The installers really should have told you and i'm surprised not one of the other bothered to warn of the risks of converting to mains pressure.

The thing is, it is next to impossible to know where a leak will occur other than obvious things like ball valves and showers.

With the leaks, do they tend to occur pretty soon after installation or am I going to have to keep checking for years to come?

Thankfully a very rare problem for us, but that is more by luck than by judgement.

Any problems have tended to materialise in the first few weeks. Any7 weak points are going to go pretty soon with all the pressure fluctuations during a 24 hour day. Pressure in some areas can spike at night to quite alarming levels.

No point losing sleep over it. Just be aware of where your stop cocks are ;).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back