Leak help needed! (please :-)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps/chapettes,

Just been crawling around in our tiny loft space after the better half noticed water running down a bedroom wall!

The offending piece can be seen in the picture below. It is at the top of the drop down to the shower. The pipes come from the shower pump in the airing cupboard, up into the loft space, T upwards to these and downwards to the shower.

The leak was coming from the plastic screw. I took it off and the leak stopped. I have replaced it and rightened both plastic screws.

Can someone please put my mind at rest and give me some advice? Don't fancy a sleepless night worry about the bedroom and kitchen below becoming a swimming pool ;-p

Thanks!
Ste

Sponsored Links
Are you sure they are on the shower pipes? The thingy is typically used on heating, and has no use on shower pipes.

100% sure. They drop into the room below, through a wall and into the shower.

I thought they are air bleed vents. We have one in the airing cupboard that likes to hiss when I have draing end re-filled the central heating system in the past.

They look like air vents but the pic is a bit dark. Get new ones fitted to be sure.

HTH

Sponsored Links
Turn the water off, open the taps/shower, and replace them with endstops; they are pointless on waterpipes.

An auto air vent at the top of a pipe that goes up and down again from a tank would be used to prevent air locks, but could also cause them!

We sometimes get the pump doing an 'onnnn, offff, onnnn, offff, onnnnn, offfff' kinda thing when turning the shower off. Takes some turning it back on and changing the temp full cold, full hot...then water flow off, to stop it. Maybe linked?

We have been in the house 4 years and had no leaks from it. I suspect the shower was put in some 10+ years prior to us moving in. Strange that it should start to p**s water all of a sudden?

I am pretty handy with a torch, so have no problem/fear removing them. But is it the best thing to do?

I will do a diagram to show my understanding of the system.

Here we go...

Apologies for the crudity of the diagram, didn't have time to draw it to scale...yada yada yada :-p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back