Leaking shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if anyone could offer any suggestions please .......

after stripping out a downstairs cupboard, I’ve noticed a very small trickle of water coming down the wall from upstairs shower (hubby was in shower when I noticed the water). I’ve ran the water just down the waste to make sure there’s no leaks there, but nothing leaks.

I’ve ran the shower (quadrant shower) a few times in different areas and seemed to only leak when focussed on bottom right corner where shower meets tray, tiles/wall & silicone.

silicone has worn a bit as it’s over 14 years old now, so I stripped out all old silicone and resealed yesterday. But when I tested the shower today (I was focussing shower head around the new silicone for 3 or 4 minutes), it started to leak again .

any suggestions as to what I may have missed, as when I tape/cover that bottom right corner up with plastic it no longer leaks ‍♀️

I know it’s very tricky to identify an issue without seeing it, but any tips on where to check next would be very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
You seem to have followed a sensible and logical fault finding routine. Clearly your re-sealing hasn't worked.
Have hubby step in and out of the shower while you watch (change positions if you weigh more than he!). Look for evidence of the shower tray displacing; if so you'll need to stop that to have much chance of a long term fix.

It needed to be dry before new silicone went down. Dont use cheap 99p stuff (if you did that is).

Thank you for your replies

I wiped down the shower and left it overnight before I removed old sealant and applied new sealant.

there wasn’t anyone physically in the shower when I tested it today as hubby is at work, but I did use Screwfix no-nonsense sanitary ware sealant at about £3.50 ish? Is this the right stuff and I did quite a wide bead.

I will check again tonight when he gets home.

i did contemplate grout sealant, but there’s no evidence of broken tiles or grout in that area ‍♀️

Hoping I haven’t got to rip out all of that sealant again as it was a nightmare

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Get on your hands and knees and inspect the grout closely. I’ve had en suite shower leak in the corners which turned out to be small cracks in the grout due to a loose tile. Worth check before resealing.

Try taking and posting a photo on here? No-nonsense sealant is ok, prefer Dow 785 personally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back