Leaking shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leaking shower and i am not fully sure where the leak is coming from. Here is a pic of the shower.

View media item 79124
Initially i sealed the bottom of the tray and tiles (so back wall and right side). I also sealed the outside of the screen (left side, front and left side where the screen connects to the tiled rear wall).

The shower is now being used and there is a leak at the bottom left corner on the back tiled wall i think. I added some silicone yesterday to the inside of the frame where it sits on the back wall. Still leaking.

Any ideas on what has gone wrong ? Does the grout ever cause a problem with leaks ?

I haven't sealed around the tiles where the shower valve sits. I like to leave it clean, but this is a potential cause of a leak.

I just wonder if the shower is sealed properly and instead i have a leaking pipe in the wall ?

any fault finding tips appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Take the shower head off the hose and lay the hose in the shower tray, turn on the shower and let it run for 10 minutes. This will rule out the leak coming from the trap or waste pipe.

Also post pictures on the inside of the shower where the tiles meet the tray.

Andy

Ok thanks will do. I know it is not the trap as this has been set at the front left corner and the skirting boards are just screwed on for easy access. So i have seen that the trap is not leaking.

I have been reading and i siliconed the metal bracket to the tiled wall. Then i slipped the screen into this bracket and screwed in place. I then sealed the shower from the outside.

I am wondering if i should have added some silicone to the inside of the bracket so the screen would have bonded onto this. I have also seen some people recommend you put a blob of silicone at the bottom of the bracket as well.

I have also been told to spray one of the walls at a time for 10 mins and see if any leak comes from the tiles.

I will take some pics tomorrow.

Most likely because you didn't put a blob at the bottom, inside the wall profile.

And, sealing on the inside can in fact cause leaks. About 75mm at the bottom should be enough but don't seal the whole way up.

Sponsored Links
Ok well i will try a blob. I have still not sealed the shower screen from the inside yet, just the bracket which is sealed and drilled to the wall.

I tried this yesterday thinking the water was going round the back and through one of the screw holes.

Initially i sealed the bottom of the tray and tiles (so back wall and right side).

Was this before you fitted the cubicle?

No i applied my silicone after the screen had gone in.

I did however, apply silicone to the perimeter of the tray before the tiles went on.

There was a small gap and so i thought you normally fill this with silicone just to help give a better seal. Then the tiles go on, and then you apply the final silicone seal around the tile/tray edge.

No i applied my silicone after the screen had gone in.

I did however, apply silicone to the perimeter of the tray before the tiles went on.

There was a small gap and so i thought you normally fill this with silicone just to help give a better seal. Then the tiles go on, and then you apply the final silicone seal around the tile/tray edge.

Your leak is behind the cubicle wall channel then.

I tested the shower again today and no leak with the shower running into the tray. I then sprayed the left rear corner where the leak is and water came out pretty sharpish.

So took out the left section of the screen and applied silicone to the bottom of the screen bracket. I think this was the culprit and will find out tomorrow i suppose.

Is this a 'wind up'?

Sorry mate, I'm sure you have heard it all before but it just had to be said :LOL:

???

I know this isnt that technical, but the forum has helped me sort this problem and if these notes can help someone else in the future then that has to be a good thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back