Leaking shower screen - remove this silicone?

Sponsored Links
Indeed, I think the tiles and screen may be new and someone has managed to create a route down the back of the silver strip and out the room side at the base

I'm not sure that it does pour out the other side
It's an easy test; humour me by training the running shower wand on the bit I have circled

Are you going to post a video of the leak in action so we have some more needed info to work with or are you just going to leave us to keep guessing at what the problem might be?
I ask for more info because I feel I need to know it to help answer the question. If I don't get it, I give up and go and answer someone else's question instead

Sponsored Links
I couldn't upload a video so see if this link works. https://photos.app.goo.gl/X96PugCLyT7aYZ3V6

I filled in the gap between the bath edge and the tile with silicone the other day and covered the corner with plastic so it could cure. But water is still coming out. And on top of that the overflow also leaks if you splash it, which is a new development.

This is all very frustrating. I just wanted a new bath that wasn't rusty and not to have to fight with the shower curtain all the time.

Attachments

• IMG20230815125012.jpg
    IMG20230815125012.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG20230815130026.jpg
    IMG20230815130026.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG20230815130111.jpg
    IMG20230815130111.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 43
Personally with that shape of tile I dont think you will ever get it to seal properly. I would be looking for a malleable seal strip to go between the frame of the shower glass and the tile. Something that will fill the gaps in all those bevels.

My tuppenerth for what its worth.

W4 Mastic Sealing Strip https://amzn.eu/d/ao15geS

Looking at that video the water is squirting out of the gap between the hinge and the glass seal. Not saying that's the only place as It'll probably be leaking out from behind the wall channel too, given all those gaps

The screen needs to come off, then the channel. I'd then cut out the section of the tiles where the wall channel sits and remake that with either flat tile or flatten the wall and let it all dry out. Then sit the wall channel on the flat wall with some silicone behind once it's all dry before the screen is then refitted, the correct way around. Then reseal top to bottom, around the bottom section and then a little extra to take up that little gap between the glass seal and the hinge.

The overflow needs loosened, re- centered to cover the hole properly and re-tightened correctly.

I think I'm just going to take a sledgehammer to the whole thing and just bathe in a bucket in the garden for the rest of my life. Sigh.

Taking the screen off and cutting a channel out is highly impractical since this is all brand new tile, so I guess that means I'm just stuck with this. I managed to fix the overflow but I have tried filling the gaps on the inside with silicone and I removed and redid the silicone in the corner to no avail.

The plumber is coming back on Wednesday to do some other stuff so I'll bring it up with him then, but he already filled the space behind it with silicone when it was installed. Maybe I should try one of those adhesive corner sealing strips down the inside, but I think I will still have the problem because of the beveled tiles.

Taking the screen off and cutting a channel out is highly impractical since this is all brand new tile,
It's absolutely not impractical, it really is the only approach that will get this back to the way it needs to be to ensure that the screen works properly and it'll stay watertight long term. Any other option will use copious amounts of silicone/stick on seals/allsorts and will really only be a temporary fudge that will invariably leak again.

I've repaired enough bath showers in my time and your not the first person that has used bevelled edge tiles like that on a shower wall that has a bath screen attached and it leaked. In both cases they removed all the tiles on that wall and replaced.

I appreciate it sounds extreme but it's actually very straight forward for a confident installer using an angle grinder with a tile cutting blade and the correct PPE.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back