Leak in heating coil in hot water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have recently moved into a house and found that the pressure needs to be topped up every few days on the boiler. It is a brand new boiler and I assume that there must be a leak in the system somewhere. Each time I also need to bleed the radiator upstairs.

There are no obvious signs of any leaks near the radiator and therefore would it be possible that the leak is in the hot water tank heating coil? Interestingly enough as I am just using hot water in the summer I have not been required to bleed the radiator i.e. there is no air in the central heating circuit hence is there no leak on the radiator and it must be in the tank?

Can anyone help?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The water in the hot water primary circuit (the heating coil) is the same as the water in the radiators, so a leak between the two isn't possible - they're a shared system.

You need to keep bleeding the radiators because every time you top up the system you are introducing fresh water. The air will rise to a convenient radiator and does not indicate where any leak is. If you're not using the radiators it will be accumulating elsewhere in the system but you may not notice this (yet ...)

If there is no sign of any leak indoors (although a small leak could be evaporating before you notice it) then the likely culprit is the pressure relief valve letting water through. You could try putting a plastic bag round the pressure relief discharge pipe outside and seeing if any water accumulates.

If you keep topping up the system with fresh water you should probably top up the inhibitor in the radiators too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back