Leak in towel radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new towel radiator, has been fitted for 4 weeks at the most. Its a curved ladder, in chrome finish. There is a tiny leak at one of the joins of a horizontal bar to the vertical bits.

Obviously I'd really rather not take the thing off and send it back, mail order, to the supplier, if I can avoid it.

I thought I might be able to clean and patch it with a tiny bit of metal repair epoxy for example. Or is there another repair material? Not keen on putting stuff into the system to seal leaks...

Is this a really terrible idea?

Sponsored Links
Turn off both valves. Drain the towel rad. Remove it. Return it for exact replacement (so that it fits!). Fit replacement, but make sure plenty of inhibitor in system. More can be poured into top of new towel rad before you re-open valves. Do not discuss issue of inhibitor with rad supplier! They can wriggle out of replacing it if you mention possibility that there was none in system!

Sponsored Links
OK sounds like there's only one way to sort this. Suddenly the mail order option becomes much less convenient when I have to return stuff !

Fortunately I know there is a fair amount of inhibitor sloshing around in my system as I shoved another bottle in there during the summer when I replaced a couple of radiators myself....

Thanks for the replies everyone.

If the goods supplied are defective, they are obliged, in theory to cover the postage costs of returning it to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back