leak through pop-up waste knob of mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an annoying leak on one of my mixer taps. It is a three-hole surface-mounted basin tap, there is a pop-up waste, and the knob for the pop-up waste is on the top surface of the spout, the rod for the waste goes into the body of the spout, and exits the body underneath, where it is then connected to the rod to move the plug up and down.

The problem is that at both points where the rod enters and exits the spout, water leaks out when the tap is open - clearly the rod is passing through the water coming out of the tap, and there seems to be nothing to stop water escaping through the holes where rod enters and exits the spout.

We have other taps in the house of the same design which do not leak.

Unfortunately I don't have receipts any more to tell me what the make of the tap is, and I can't figure out by only looking externally what would cause one tap to leak and another not to.

Does anyone have an idea of the cause of this leak, and how I might fix it ? I would much prefer to do the fix in-situ rather than take the whole tap apart - is that going to be possible ?

Cheers,

Stu

Sponsored Links
sure. It's a little bit difficult to get a good shot, but here goes:

Overview:
tap1.JPG

Close-up, notice the limescale track:
tap2.JPG

And a close-up with the tap running, notice the water coming out:
tap3.JPG

Couldn't get a good shot from underneath.

(swing low, sweet chariots !)

Sponsored Links
And keep on top of the mildew, it only gets worse then causes damp ;)

No offence intended ;)

yeah, that mildew is a bugger - wouldn't have gone for limestone tiles in hindsight - have the same problem in the shower, and apart from stripping out the old mastick and putting in new once a year, doesn't seem much I can do about it... any hints there ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back