Installing pop-up waste in bidet

GRC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing a Bristan mixer tap and pop-up waste in a bidet - the Bristan instructions have the glib phrase - "Attach the waste body to the basin, and connect the pop-up control rod"

From the top - the waste flange, a bedding of plumber's mait, the porcelain, plastic washer, then the waste body, with control rod pre-installed.

Need to thread the two halves together, and there's nothing to grip on the flange, and the waste body will only rotate through 15-20 degrees, as the control rod fouls on the sides of the bidet.

What do you folks do? Remove the control rod, and fit it again later?

I fabricated a tool to insert in the top of the flange, engaging in the slots around the barrel, and tightened it down. Eventually get to the point where the flange is working against the plumber's mait, and it all gets a bit messy.

Suggestions for recommended approach, please. Anyone make a tool that works like reverse pliers to engage in the barrel slots?

Later on, get everything in, and everything wants to be in the same space as everything else. The control rod for the pop-up fouls both inlet pipes, and the waste trap and exit pipe. I can bend the tap tails out of the way, but the waste trap and pipe can't move anywhere. I could find a trap which exits slightly lower, but this would lead to later pipes running uphill to the eventual waste exit.

Regards, Graham

Sponsored Links
And you wondered why we want £75.00 to come out and £40.00 an hour, welcome to the real world of plumbing.
Stuggled my bollloccks off this week with manufacterers crraap designs and crraap instructions.

Sponsored Links
PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
And you wondered why we want £75.00 to come out and £40.00 an hour, welcome to the real world of plumbing.
Stuggled my bollloccks off this week with manufacterers crraap designs and crraap instructions.

Yes, I was going to ask someone to remind me that I should drop Bristan a line to maybe, em, 'expand' their instructions a bit, but since you put it so succinctly.............

Why on earth do they supply the waste body pre-assembled with the pop-up rod when they expect that it'll be taken apart to fit it?

Regards, Graham

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:

I may yet regret the offer to replace the en-suite for 2 six-packs of Tennents Lager and a couple of Cadburys Selection Boxes ........

Regards, Graham

kevplumb said:
unscrew the knurled nut on the waste and the rod comes out

Yup, that did it; removed everything, cleaned up the plumbers mait down below, a touch of fairy liquid on the top and bottom of the washer, turn it all round from below, and...... end up with the pop-up on the opposite side of what's required; out with the big channel wrench, and 'persuade' it to come round to the right spot.

Throw some water in, and ..... the washer joint is fine, but now it leaks from the pop-up rod nut. However, a couple of turns of PTFE later, and all is well.

Thanks chaps!

Regards, Graham

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back