Leaking Pop-up Basin Waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sink basin has been leaking from the underside seal for a while.

I have added a few photos to explain this.

I assume I have to:

Remove the U assembly,
Unattach the pop-up rod assembly and arm,
Unscrew the whole waste assembly from below,
Disassemble and clean any existing sealant,
Refit using plumbers mait and existing seal(s)
Reattach the pop-up / rod assembly.

Does that sound right?

I have a couple of questions….

Do I only need plumbers mait on the underside of the basin joint?

I assume that the waste and pop-up mechanism were assembled before the sink was installed so would that be a problem to remove / reaffix the pop up rod? Looks like I have just enough space to spin the waste round (the pop-up rod flange sticks out to the side a bit).

Cheers for taking the time to have a look.

Macker
[/img]

Sponsored Links
To release the pop-up waste connection just undo the grey nut and pull it out that's it, refit after you put the waste back.

The pop up waste mechanism when you extract it will usually be coated in some silicone grease, try to leave it all on or put some new on!

If you apply the plumbers mait to the bottom that should stop your leak, but you may get a minor amount of water passing your waste at the top so put some under the top of the chrome waste as well. Make sure every thing is clean and dry before re-assembly (leave the grease on the pop up waste).

I usually roll the plumbers mait into a sausage so that you apply it is applied evenly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back