Leakage & RCD Requirement for data center

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I am intersted to know the power requirement on data center:

- Is there any RCD requirement for data centre ? According to IEE wiring 16 Ed & 17 Ed. If someone could also point me the Reg number on the regulation ??.

- How much the max Earth Leakage figure on the Data center ?. Is there any standard, etc that I could look at ?.

- If we are using UPD the bcak up The power, is there still problem with earth leakage. I have been told that there shouldn’t be any earth leakage from the building back to the utility network as most UPS systems act as isolating transformers between the utility and load. Only when UPS systems are in by-pass is there the possibility of earth leakage back to the utility network which should be considered. Is that correct ?

Thank you
Pantaiema

Pantaiema

Sponsored Links
First define "data centre" so we know what you a e connecting to.

One PC and printer, a network of storage, a mini frame or main frame ?

Some designs of UPS have large "earth" leakage currents due to the filtering on the input to the unit. That is always there which every more the UPS is in.

bernardgreen

What I mean with data center is that there are a building/large room with lot of PC'c, servers including blade servers Air condioned and backed up with UPS.

IS there still problem with earth leakage as most UPS systems act as isolating transformers between the utility and load ?

Thanl you

Pantaiema

bernardgreen said:
First define "data centre" so we know what you a e connecting to.

One PC and printer, a network of storage, a mini frame or main frame ?

Some designs of UPS have large "earth" leakage currents due to the filtering on the input to the unit. That is always there which every more the UPS is in.

Sponsored Links
Guys, this chap is doing a research project. I have already directed him to IEE to ask acedemic questions. Dont waste yr valuable time on him!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back