Leaking Balcony

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a first floor balcony over a porchway. It's about 6m sq, with tiles on top of concrete. The water is leaking down through the concrete I believe and into the porch way.

I'm looking for a way to waterproof it.

Was thinking along the lines of a transparent resin to go straight over the tiles, but would be grateful for some advice on how best to sort this without spending thousands.

Alternatively, perhaps lift the tiles, put down a waterproof coating (not sure what type) and re-lay some tiles?

Any thoughts appreciated

Sponsored Links
What is the waterproofing layer? Age? Is the leak nearer to a particular wall or the front parapet or in the middle of the porch ceiling or what? etc

Currently there is no waterproof layer. The age is 30 years+. Not sure where the leak is - only seeing the results of it in the porchway.

Sponsored Links
I believe so yes. It was originally built over nothing more than a garage and an open porchway, so I don't the builders saw a need for true waterproofing.

Any suggestions?

Yea, stick a proper flat roof waterproof layer on it! :rolleyes:

A clear layer of whatever may do something in the short term but it won't last.

Tiles up, clean concrete, apply flat roof layer, tiles back if they'll still be compatible otherwise promenade tiles on top of the new flat roof.

Felt is still good for 20 years if done well as is EDPM or GRP. any pics of the drain/the flashing etc?

The flashing is just a raised tarmac or something similar.

Zoom this pic...

The drain is a typical roof drain (raised protruding metal mesh) at the outer edge (under the railing)

So tiles can be laid on felt?
Would rubber paint (under tiles) be any use?

What sort of resin should I go for straight over the top if I did go that route?

They look like paving slabs? If they are and they came up alright without falling apart (some are cracked already by the looks) they cane be laid on paving support pads. if there was enough height to do that.

You can also get 'promenade tiles' which can be adhered to asphalt or felt roof coverings.

A resin on top of the tiles? Likely a highway to nowhere tbh but you could try something like: http://www.arcane-industries.co.uk/p535-transparent-waterproofing-system-over-tiled-terraces.html

Another major issue is you don't know where its leaking, as you may have gathered already, identifying where a flat roof is leaking can be far from straightforward.

Thanks

Ashphalt or felt.......
Which would be "best"?
Which would be cheapest?
Which would last longer?
Which is ewasier to lay?

Appfreciate your help

You have probably got asphalt under the tiles.

You might get away with removing the tiles and get a roofer in to torch on some underlay and green mineral.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back