Leaking bath waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Came down the other morning to find water coming through the ceiling which is coming from the bath. I have the click clack type waste and it's dripping/flowing out of there.

I've uploaded a couple of images. In IMG_6171 I have highlight where the water is coming from. When I remove that small plate you can see that water is coming from that area. It looks to me as if there is a fault with the waste as I wouldn't have thought water should be escaping into that area?

Is it a case of replacing it with a new Click clack waste with one of these?

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/cruze-bath-pop-up-waste-overflow-chrome

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_6171.JPG
    IMG_6171.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_6177.JPG
    IMG_6177.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 183
Sponsored Links
You don't have a click/clack waste, going by that image you have a pop-up waste, which is controlled by an overflow twist button?

If so then replacing with the same should be ok.

You don't have a click/clack waste, going by that image you have a pop-up waste, which is controlled by an overflow twist button?

If so then replacing with the same should be ok.

You are correct, it is an overflow twist button.

I'm presuming that the seal round the plug hole and waste is just with a rubber washer and not sealed with silicone?

It does use a rubber washer to seal yes, I usually use the smallest smear of clear silicone on both sides of the waste just to take up any imperfections in the seal/bath - just a belt and braces approach.

Sponsored Links
I can see the issue with it now. There are 2 small rubber washers on the arm that moves up and down to raise and lower the plug. These have worn down over time and are no longer water tight. I think it's a bit of a design flaw with this system as the bath is only 2 years old, or maybe I've just had a poorly made one (vitra). I think I will replace it with a normal waste/overflow and get rid of the twist system.

It all depends on the brand of the fitting. A trusted brand will depend on its reputation for future sales.
Cheap, unbranded components look like they're fit for purpose, but rarely are - an experienced eye can spot this. They can still be made to work and be watertight, but this requires improvisation that only comes with experience, through trial and error!

I can see the issue with it now. There are 2 small rubber washers on the arm that moves up and down to raise and lower the plug. These have worn down over time and are no longer water tight. I think it's a bit of a design flaw with this system as the bath is only 2 years old, or maybe I've just had a poorly made one (vitra). I think I will replace it with a normal waste/overflow and get rid of the twist system.

You posted the above whilst I was typing and beat me to publication lol! Vitra is a fairly decent brand. You could probably fix this with a couple of new washers and some "additional" proprietary product - silicone would be a good start (y)

It'll be the o-rings on the arm that'll have worn out, could have been a dry seal and that's caused premature wear. Sure they could be replaced but I'd still change to a traditional type chromed plug or a captive flip plug waste, those would be my choice. You will need to change the overflow too but it should all come together as pack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back