Leaking bathroom tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bathroom tap which has a slow dripping leak. The leak seems to be coming from a connector joning the steel hose to the plastic pipe.

This affects only the cold side. The hot side is not leaking. For the meantime, I have closed off the supply to the cold side by using a screwdriver to close the cold globe valve.

My questions are:
* What could be causing the drip?
* What steps should I try to fix it and what tools will I need for this?

rti8w9.jpg

afbxiv.jpg

Sponsored Links
either the connection is loose or the sealing washer inside has burst. Has this connection been moved or tinkered with recently? Definitely leaking at the connection? run your hand down the flexi pipe to make sure leak isn't from further up.

Isolate water from the connection at what you call the globe valve (Isolation Valve). Check if connection is loose, use 2 medium sized adjustable spanners, one on the connector, one on the flexible pipe. If flexi not loose then it's usually the washer - disconnect flexible pipe from the connector, watch for water that is above the connector, this will leak out, have a towel ready. You will find a washer in there. This may have been over tightened. Get a 1/2" fibre washer that is for a flexi pipe http://www.screwfix.com/p/fibre-washers-for-flexible-tap-connectors-pack-of-20/93297 , replace and refit flexi pipe. Finger tight then only 'nip' onto the connector with the spanners, does not need to be really tight to seal. Turn water back on, run cold water and then check for leaks.

Hi Madrab,

Thank you very much for your response.

I have disconnected the flexible pipe and, as I did so, I noticed what looks like a half of a rubber washer fall out. See image.

x3bq52.jpg

Presumably this indicates that I need a new washer, as you predicted.

Is 1/2" definitely going to be the correct size of washer for my pipes? I have measured the flexible connector (roughly) and have found the inside to be ~12mm and the outside to be ~18mm.

4v4mc3.jpg

I realise that 12mm and 1/2" are roughly the same, but I'm new to plubming so wanted to make sure I buy the right thing.

My bathroom tap is a Grohe mixer if that helps.
http://www.grohe.com/uk/5468/bathro...product-details/?product=33532-G145&color=000

Yep, as seen many times, an overtightened connector on a normal 15mm straight coupler, rather than a 15mm>1/2" connector. Difference is in the end that the flexi connects onto, a straight coupler has a tapered end/narrow seat to take an olive and the 1/2" coupler has a flatter end. The former can cut into washer quite easily if overtightened.
It looks like a standard 15mm flexi so the 1/2" fibre washers I linked to should be suitable.

Sponsored Links
So I popped to B&Q and bought the equivalent of what screwfix was selling.
2i9hua1.jpg

Upon trying to place this inside the flexible hose connector, it is clear that these are too big:
10fc4s8.jpg

What size do you think I should be going for?

My Apologies craig, seems your flexi end may be smaller than normal, one I have pictured

View media item 65591
You may have to get a rubber one as GB suggests or you could always trim the fibre one to fit using a pair of sharp nail clippers

The inside of a 1/2" nut will measure closer to 3/4".
Your 12mm may well be 3/8" BSP thread, though goodness knows why it would.

Picture, make/model of the tap?

Never having measured the inside of a flexi before it didn't occur to me that there would be ones with smaller ends having never come across them and I assumed it was a 15mm coupler it's going onto? Or maybe not...
His tap is a
My bathroom tap is a Grohe mixer if that helps.
http://www.grohe.com/uk/5468/bathro...details/?product=33532-G145&color=000[/QUOTE]
http://cdn08.grohe.com/lib/1/tpi/1418990.pdf

If it is smaller craig then you may have to get a selection pack of washers to find one that fits.

Aaah, the fog clears.

The 3/8" is not from the tap, it's from a male connector on the Hep2o.
I also thought we were dealing with a pair of taps, based on the hot and cold pipework.

Buy M10/M12 (whichever is appropriate for tap) X 15mm flexis (come in pairs), remove the 3/8" male end from fitting on grey pipe, leaving nut and olive in situ, remove nut and olive from flexi, fit small thread to tap, screw large thread into brass nut.

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice so far - very much appreciated.

I think I've decided that I'm going to just buy an assortment of rubber washers and find one that fits.

In the meantime, I've reattached the flexible tube to the connector without a washer. I tightened by hand and then nipped it tight with a wrench.

I have been observing this for a few days now and there is not a single hint of moisture anymore - so the problem seems to be fixed.

I'm wondering, is there any danger in just leaving it like this without a washer?

There's a reason flexi manufacturers include washers.

Non-malleable metal to non-malleable metal joints need to be machined precisely to work. You are - up to now - very lucky.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back