Leaking Cast iron joint repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks.

I've got a joint on my cast iron down pipe. I had a new bathroom fitted a few years ago and the fitter replaced some of the pipe with plastic and connected it to the cast iron down pipe. A few years ago I noticed a small leak so scraped all the joint out and used plumbers putty to create a new seal. I've just had the house re rendered and it's leaking again so feel the pipe must have been disturbed with them knocking the old render off. Is it a case of repeating the process or is there something it there better than using plumbers putty to create a better seal. All I did last time was to push the putty into the seal. DIY novice.

Sponsored Links
Black polymer to match colour as I assuming its black. Use masking tape around the area. Apply polymer mastic. Pull tape. Snag up/smooth edges.

Might need to remove old putty. Meths

1000023864.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20240327080159.jpg
    IMG20240327080159.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 22
Sponsored Links
That's the wrong fitting. Gravity means the bottom seal should be inside the joining pipe.
Where is it leaking?

As above, dig out the putty and use:

Andy

If the mood takes you get rid of all the cast iron. For now use polymer

The leak would more than likely be the bottom end of the plastic 45.

If you wanted a fix that looked in tune with the cast iron? Use a timesaver coupling and an M& F 45.

You can get cast effect plastic fittings or you could paint with Hammerite

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back