leaking CH pipes under cement floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,
We suddenly noticed in our 1967 bungalow that a leak developed in the CH pipes burried in the concrete floor at two places, bedroom to corridor line.

The carpets were found wet & so the concrete floor under them, and same wiith the near by lower walls.

The CH header tank looses about 2-3” of water in 24 hrs.

The radiators installation is the original of a single pipe type, with a shut of valve only on one side.

It was powered from a conventional system in the utility room, which was done away with to enlarge the kitchen 6-7 yrs ago.

Since then the above system is powered by a Potterton Kingfisher M F 60 boiler, with an “OSO” Unvented Water heater, Indirect 250 & new header tank, all istalled in the garage.

Is there a way to abandon the old piping system & install new pipes above ground?, and if so which would be the most economical way.

Nick

Sponsored Links
Install a drop system!!

Depending on how many rads and their location £750-£1250

Thanx Gents,

I will have to accept the cost as is really a catastrofic fault. Are all the bangalows saffering this after 30 yrs.? or am I just the unlucky one.

Can you give me some clues &/or tips of how the "drop pipe" system chould be done.

Nick

Sponsored Links
Surely repairing the leak would be covered by your household insurance, if it is see if you can negotiate with them to cover part of the cost of renewing the pipes.

Is there a way to abandon the old piping system & install new pipes above ground?, and if so which would be the most economical way.

Nick

if its a one pipe system, then i think you may be able to trace the pipes between each radiator, chop them off at each leaving tails then simply take a new pipe from one tail to other, but surface mounted. i hope that made sense!

Surely repairing the leak would be covered by your household insurance, if it is see if you can negotiate with them to cover part of the cost of renewing the pipes.

If you do try the insurance company tell them it was since you were carrying a heavy safe and it dropped near to the pipes or something. If you cant construe it as 'accidental damage' they will wriggle out of it.

Nichos wrote

Can you give me some clues &/or tips of how the "drop pipe" system chould be done.

This means installing the complete pipework system in the roof space and dropping the pipes down the walls to where the radiators are situated.
I doubt if you will want surface mounted pipework though.
So one option is to chase the walls and place the pipes in these channels.

Is the existing pipe work copper or iron ?. Is it definitely a one pipe system ?.
I'd go the floor option and hire something like this in a for a few hours and chase the entire floor for the new pipe runs. ( If indeed the system needs re-piping)
You might want to vacate the premises though. :LOL:
Bigsaw.jpg

The CH header tank in about 2m above loft floor.

If a ring of pipes is layed in the loft floor to distribute the downdrops to all the rooms below, will the 2m header be enough, or do you think I will have air geting in the pipes or something.

If so, is there anything else I can do to prevent it, as I cannot raise the header tank any more.

The system is powered by a Potterton Kingfisher M F 60 boiler, with an “OSO” Unvented Water heater, Indirect 250 & new header tank, all istalled in the garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back