leaking cistern?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, currently in the process of decorating the bathroom but have run in to a slight problem. As I was removing the old grout I noticed a few floor boards were rotten. Ok I thought, the floor is getting ripped up anyhow and new lino put down so proceeded to rip up the tiles to check how far the problem might have spread. Lucky enough it was only a few floorboards which I have now easily changed so all good their now.

Trouble is while removing the old floor tiles and mdf underneath I had to loosen the toilet to slightly lift it to pull the old mdf from under the toilet itself. Obviously this has caused movement and I think the seal has failed.

The leak is not major but obviously needs sorting as soon as possible. My question is, is it a case of simply purchasing some new seals, emptying the cistern, shutting off the main water feed and disconnecting it, unscrewing the cistern from the bowl and lifting up, put new seal on and a bit of plumbers mate and re seating it. Or do I have to dismantle the whole thing inside the cistern to take it off?

If this is an easy job it might actually be a good thing for me as like I say the leak is not major and I can fit the new mdf and lino without the need to cut around the toilet.

One more thing that is worrying me though is the waste pipe, how easy are these to get back on correct with no leaks?

Sponsored Links
A couple of photos would help.
I depends what you have there leaking. Water can leak from the 4" soil pipe which may be cemented in or fixed with a modern push fit connector like this.http://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-macfit-mac-1-wc-straight-pan-connector-white-90-112mm/78806#_=p
The cistern if it sits on the pan is a close coupled one, there is a doughnut washer between the two but there are a number of different types (some but not all are interchangeable) so until it is out you cannot be sure which one you need.
The clamp holding the two together is the main problem usually the wing nuts are rusted solid and you end up cutting them off. A kit looks like this. http://www.screwfix.com/p/euroflo-cistern-coupling-kit/4016d
It can also leak where the retaining bolts pass through the bottom of the cistern sealed with rubber washers.

A couple of photos would help.
I depends what you have there leaking. Water can leak from the 4" soil pipe which may be cemented in or fixed with a modern push fit connector like this.http://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-macfit-mac-1-wc-straight-pan-connector-white-90-112mm/78806#_=p
The cistern if it sits on the pan is a close coupled one, there is a doughnut washer between the two but there are a number of different types (some but not all are interchangeable) so until it is out you cannot be sure which one you need.
The clamp holding the two together is the main problem usually the wing nuts are rusted solid and you end up cutting them off. A kit looks like this. http://www.screwfix.com/p/euroflo-cistern-coupling-kit/4016d
It can also leak where the retaining bolts pass through the bottom of the cistern sealed with rubber washers.

Thank you for the reply.

Ahhh not what I wanted to hear lol sounds like it might be a harder job than I first thought.

Here is a cople of pics.
http://imgur.com/a/oxr7g

Yes I know its a bit dirty, only just moved in so removing will enable me to give it all a good clean :)

First thing I would do is clean and dry around the large pipe then put tissue under the pipe and a bit on top to see if the large waste is leaking or the cistern above.
Once it is clean and dried the best way to find leaks is to run your hand around and check to see if you pick up water on your fingers.
If it is the cistern/pan joint try soaking the wing nuts overnight in penetrating oil or WD40 don't get confused with the wing nuts that hold the seat on it's the ones right up the back that are a bitch to reach you need to undo, as well as of course turning off the water and disconnecting the supply pipe.

Sponsored Links
First thing I would do is clean and dry around the large pipe then put tissue under the pipe and a bit on top to see if the large waste is leaking or the cistern above.
Once it is clean and dried the best way to find leaks is to run your hand around and check to see if you pick up water on your fingers.
If it is the cistern/pan joint try soaking the wing nuts overnight in penetrating oil or WD40 don't get confused with the wing nuts that hold the seat on it's the ones right up the back that are a bitch to reach you need to undo, as well as of course turning off the water and disconnecting the supply pipe.

Already done the tissue trick and I am 95% sure the leak is coming from the cistern, maybe the slight movement has made the seal fail. Will I need to remove it all then to find out which seal I need? Also do places like B and Q sell them? If on the ot5her 5% chance it is the waste is that an easy fix? I do not want to have to replace the full waste pipe as that would mean removing tiles, well I think it would?

Sounds like the doughnut from what you say so go for that first, on the remote chance you need to do the 4" seal at least you will have done the worst bit and removing the cistern after a new doughnut seal is fitted will be a doddle.
B&Q should sell them (they are the same company as Screwfix who's link I posted) buy the kit as almost certainly the bolts will be rusted. Check out where your local plumbers merchant is if it turns out to be an odd sized one you should be able to show them the old bit and get a replacement as B&Q will only do one style.
If all else fails you will get pretty much any type here. They are quick on delivery.
http://www.shop.lunns.net/close-coupled-washers-and-fixing-kits-107-c.asp

Nice one mate for the advise, I will get the kit. Might as well change everything to new if I am doing it.

Good luck please let us know how you get on.

Will do mate, will not be until tomorrow afternoon now that I get around to it. Like I say it is not a major leak but obviously needs sorting but tissue is holding the drip from getting on the floorboards at the moment. Sunday drinking time to be had with the monday morning routine of I am never doing that again lol.

Good luck please let us know how you get on.

Just an update mate how things went, well I went to screwfix B and Q neither had the right doughnut washer, they had them but not the correct size. Looking at it though it was not that bad just a few flaps bent. I bought the screws and washers you linked me to and they were perfect. The old washers and plastic bolts holding the cistern to the pot did need changing and them worked a treat. Ask for the doughnut seal I made sure every groove was correct then placed some plumbers mate around it then sat it down.

I did end up removing everything even the toilet from the waste which made it a hell of a lot easier to put new mdf then Lino down, hardest part was stopping the waste leaking. Obviously I tested it, removed it etc then had to put my hand in the actual waste because the seal had been pushed back, nasty job lol.

All in all though great stuff, no more leaks and a nice new floor, thank you again for the advice. Would have had no clue without it.

Thanks for the update it's always nice to know a problem is resolved.
Well done and best wishes.:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back