leaking conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,
I have just finished building a lean to conservatory that is built on a steel base cladded in p5 grade chipboard and with all this rain we have been having i have noticed water leaking in at the bottom of some of the window units they are full hight glazed units which i bolted as per instructions throught the units,cill and into the steel base.
Please could you suggest why this might be happening and how to solve it?
Thanks dazz

Sponsored Links
Where is the water getting in - through joints in the framework or at the beading at bottom of glass?

Did you apply silicone before fixing the frames/cills etc, and are all the seals in place and the beading clipped in properly.

Curing it may involve some form of dismantling unless the cause is obvious

I've got a feeling that the water is getting in through the bolt hole could that happen? all the beads are fitted correctly as far as i know.
I didnt seal the cill to the base because it didnt say in the instruction to and plus the conservatory is over 150mm plus above the ground so water wouldnt be getting in that way.
What about all the of the ali extruded parts that join the units together?
Cheers dazz

Sorry, I meant where is the water coming out :oops:

Out of joints in the framework or at the beading at bottom of glass?

Sponsored Links
Without seeing it or knowing which system it is, its difficult to be precise. But, generally if parts to be fitted together do not have a built-in water stop arrangement, then silicone should be used to form a seal.

If this water is coming under the cill, then it needs to be sealed. If you can't lift it to seal it and then lower it onto the base, then you'll have to try and get a bead of silicone around the cill/base joint.

When fitting the cill to the frame, there should be drain holes in the frame to allow any water getting in the frame to drain out via a gap between the bottom front edge of the frame and the top of the cill. Also there should be a bead of silicone at the back of the cill which then seals to the frame when they are joined

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back