Leaking conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Conservatory has started leaking recently with the big downpours recently.

It's not easy to see where it's coming in. It's run down the corner of the wall.

I've taken some of the plaster out to see if it's obvious where it's coming from next time it rains.

There seem to be two layers of cladding at the back and it's well stuck on and would cause damage trying to remove.

Electrician had taken it off when running cable and replaced with new as it cracked. This was back in April though and seen no leaks before now.
Seems to have been the heavy rain over last few days.

Unfortunately gutter is down between flat roof and edge of conservatory and difficult to access.

Gutters need a clean out so thought would do that over weekend to see if it stops it. If gutters get too full, is it usual to overflow and find its way in?

Sponsored Links
Could be coming in anywhere, where it comes out is not normally were it comes in, check to see if any of the roof sheets have moved and then look at any box gutter joints

Box gutter probably blocked, mine holds several gallons of water but can fill in heavy rain if outlet is restricted.

Been up there today after work before it got dark.

Cleared out two sides of the gutters. They weren't great, with some piles of muck, moss etc.
Two sides are unfortunately very difficult for access :evil:
One side against the house wall, the other adjacent to flat roof.

I'll put up some pics from on the roof tomorrow.

The side that is leaking is the one up against the flat roof.
The gap is only about 1" - 1.5" between the edge of the polycarbonate roof sections and the edge of the flat roof! Extremely tough to get hands down to get muck out. And part of the length has the original guttering from the flat roof sitting over the top, further complicating access.

Tonight I also took the hose up on the flat roof to try to wash muck along. Even with large volumes of water going down the guttering, it hasn't leaked again inside.

It may be that the water is finding it's way between the outside edge of the guttering and the original wall and coming from higher up.
It looks like some silvery flashing has been stuck against the edge under the flat roof and down into the gutter.

Sponsored Links
they can leak when they are full of cr*p and it rains heavily as the water cant drain quick enough and it can back up over the box gutter. they are not always leaking from where the water drips though :)

they can leak when they are full of cr*p and it rains heavily as the water cant drain quick enough and it can back up over the box gutter. they are not always leaking from where the water drips though :)

Am seeing this, definitely.

Didn't fully clean the gutters, but shifted a lot of muck and I've had no problem since. Makes it a bit tough trying to diagnose though!

Really waiting to see now if it does it again. I've taken back some of the plaster from around the area to hopefully make it more obvious.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back