Leaking cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a damp patch under the hot water cylinder, but no sign of water dripping.

When I examined the underside of the cylinder using a mirror I could see some white stuff near the central indentation. Here's a pic - you can see part of the mirror in the bottom left corner.

cylinder.jpg

There's no sign of any damage to the cylinder and water hasn't come through the ceiling below. Is this limescale, if so how did it get there?

The cylinder is only standing on two bearers, so most of the cylinder is unsupported. Shouldn't there be a piece of wood, about 450mm square and 25mm thick on top of the bearers to distribute the weight?

The plumber is coming later today to look at the problem. I'm guessing that it means a new cylinder (vented). Which are the good makes?

Sponsored Links
Standing on two bearers is not good. Should be fully supported ( flooring grade ply being an example )
How old is your cylinder? If you renew, think about adding an emersion as a back-up

Possibly a pinhole leak, enough to make it damp and get the deposit build up, but not enough to be noticeable to the naked eye otherwise.

I was told many years ago by a BCO that a cylinder should be supported on bearers. So that what's happened to D-H is visible . As an aside I am now living very near to D-H . But I have no need to poach work from local plumbers in Hailsham . There are excellent tradespeople here. It is possible to get a grade 2 cylinder which is thicker metal than the usual grade 3 . I fitted one in Polegate years ago. As requested by a M8 .

Sponsored Links
I always place on marine grade plywood, 18mm or above, with, I now use blue paper, placed onto/ in between ply and cylinder.
First one fitted back in 1970ish, used old news paper back then.
Was how I was shown.

Don't know how old the cylinder is. We've been here over 10 years and the cylinder was in place when we moved in. The foam casing is 30mm thick and a light green colour; unfortunately the only label on it just says " Choice: Energy and Environment Efficiency. ODP Zero Insulation." The plumber, who has just left, reckons it could be the original, therefore installed about 30 years ago.

The plumber mentioned that some cylinders are made of a "copper substitute" (stainless steel?) due to the high price of copper. He also mentioned Gledhill when I asked which make he used. Comments please.

Incidentally the plumber never said anything about the way the cylinder was supported, so I guess two bearers are OK. He expects to get the job done before we go away next Thursday.

does the poor guy know that everything he says and does will be put onto a diy forum for everyone to second guess him

I'm not asking anyone to second guess my plumber.

Knowing full well how many twarts there are in the industry locally to Eastbourne and Hailsham I'd say 112 makes a good call myself.......

You never sit a cylinder on marine ply.
2x2 bearers are just fine. The only reasons that's done is so that the cylinder underside dosent sweat thus corrode on the seam because that's the weakest part of a cylinder. The airflow/air change wont let the sweating ever occur

Knowing full well how many twarts there are in the industry locally to Eastbourne and Hailsham I'd say 112 makes a good call myself.......

Saw some doozies at my Nan's house near Upper Dicker... biggest cretins round there seem to be chippies that think they can plumb - but the less said about that on a public forum the better ;)

Well FWIW Gledhill used to be good. Sure it's not Lower Dicker, Dan;)

I'm lost. What are you and 112 talking about? Please explain.

Common practice to sit cylinder on two bits of 4x2 timber on edge as said....or drill a few holes through the floor to aid ventilation...
I'm not asking anyone to second guess my plumber.
With all the armchair googling you do then why employ the services of a plumber???:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back