Leaking durgo valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We moved into our house about 5 years ago and the house is about 17 years old. We've noted a drain smell on the top floor (3 storey detached) but there isn't any real pattern about when it will occur although colder days seem worse.
I have found a durgo valve behind the eaves and suspect this is the source of the smell. It is boxed in and I can't see an obvious air source. The soil stack around the durgo has some nasty looking drip marks and there is dripping water (condensation?) from the durgo. I haven't removed the valve yet - do these drip marks indicate an issue or is it solvent?
Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
That will be your problem.

I would advise getting rid of the Durgo and venting the waste another way if possible, either through the roof or out of a wall.

You will only ever have consistent issues keeping it

Many thanks for your response. I have unscrewed the top of the valve today to examine the condition of the seal because our house is one of many on the estate, which would suggest that if it was a build issue, all the houses would be affected. The valve is a Hunter S450 and when I have looked at the main seal it is very wavy in its appearance as can be seen in the attached. Is anyone able to tell me if this is normal?
20201220_181658.jpg

No the seal has swelled and failed.

A new valve will be required. I don't think you can get spare.seals

Sponsored Links
Great - thanks for responding. I have ordered a new valve and will see how I get on when I change it tomorrow. I have gone for a different type because I don't think the Hunter seal arrangement is the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back