Leaking filling loop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a problem with a filling loop that leaks - here is the situation:

I have a rainwater harvesting system supplying water to the washing machine and toilets. Recently the pump (in the tank) has started misbehaving so I needed to switch the system across to using mains water. To do this, I have a little setup in the basement where a filling loop allows me to disconnect pipework leading to the toilets etc. from the incoming rainwater feed and with the use of a filling loop, connect into the mains. I have had to do this a few times when the pump needs servicing, and it has never been a problem. This time however, I cannot get a seal between the valve on the mains supply and the flexible hose. The leak is so rapid it feels as if there's a whole part missing here somewhere - perhaps something that fell off last time I made the switch? If anybody knows what the parts SHOULD look like, and therefore what is missing, I would be very grateful. I should add that I can quite happily connect the hose back onto the pump pipework with no leaks at all, so the problem seems to be with the valve on the mains supply. The water is leaking out (fast) around the thread connector, not the valve handle.

Attached pictures illustrate the situation - can anybody spot why I can't get a seal?

Thank you in advance

Tom

Attachments

• fillingloop1.jpg
    fillingloop1.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 128
  • fillingloop2.jpg
    fillingloop2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 138
  • fillingloop3.jpg
    fillingloop3.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 110
Sponsored Links
reply to my own post in case somebody finds this useful in the future - the culprit was hardened rubber on the seal on one end of the flexible hose. Replacement with a new hose (had to buy the whole filling loop unfortunately) solved the problem.

Twex - These aren't designed to be used as a constant mains water piping system. They're designed to be used now and again and are notorious for leaking after a while. Use some silicone grease on the seals to keep them in good condition and make sure yours is WRAS approved if it's mains cold drinking water.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Rob

Will bear that in mind - it would be good to think of a system that would enable me to switch across from mains to rainwater easily in the event of a pump failure, but it has to be something that will achieve this without risk of contaminating the mains. The current system has worked OK but as you say the component is not doing what it was designed for so not surprising that it has developed a problem I suppose.

On the other note, the filling loop is WRAS approved, and when the system is working as designed there's no connection to any drinking water anyway.

Cheers

Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back