Leaking galvanised steel water tank in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a galvanised steel water tank in the loft which has developed a pinhole leak in the base due to rust. The leak is very slight, it hasn't even created a damp patch on the ceiling. I put a coffee cup beneath it and it takes about a week to fill it up.

I could have it replaced but I have an old fashioned back boiler which sooner or later is going to break down and be replaced with a combi. I heard that when they fit combi boilers they connect all of the cold water pipes to the mains, in which case this tank will not be needed. Is this true?

I have two tanks in my loft, this steel tank which I understand is a feed tank for the boiler and upstairs plumbing, and a plastic tank which I think is an expansion tank for the hot water cylinder.

Is there anything I can use to patch up the tank to stop the leak? I was thinking about some sort of epoxy applied to the exterior of the tank?

Sponsored Links
Do not touch the tank or attempt repairs!!! The rust inside is actually holding it from leaking.
Don’t even bump into the tank.
I have moved drained metal tanks and they leak the remaining dregs often when I touch them. Had a customer once noticed rust on side of his cold water tank and poked it with his finger which went through the tank, flooding house below.
It will be disconnected if you get a combi boiler (almost always).
But if that is going to be more than a few weeks away personally I would have that tank replaced.
A new tank just doing basics as a short/long term solution wouldn’t cost much tbh. Materials are not expensive and you only need bare minimum to last a while

Last edited:
Whooooo my dad touched one being nosey I’d told him I’d fix it at the weekend turned out big claim silly buzzer. Bob

Sponsored Links
I’ve used a product before to repair pinholes fuel tanks on cars. Google 'petro patch'.

A rigid patch stuck under with CT1 and wedged up with not too much pressure may hold it for now ,that's if you can get under it without disturbing

Either replace the CWST or fit a new Combi now......................your house........................................You decide!!!

Andy

Do not attempt any kind of repair, either get a combi fitted and existing Tanks will now be redundant, or have a new cistern fitted, if you go near your leaking Galv tank you will totally regret it

Ok thanks for the advice I think I'll get it replaced. James.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back