Leaking header tank.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I know this is a well visited topic, but haven't quite found what I was looking for.
Basically header tank is leaking out of the overflow. It is water coming from the pipe at the bottom of the tank which connects to the boiler at the bottom. It isn't hot water and the heating isn't on. Tried isolating water supply to the shower just in case, but no difference. Seems to drip non-stop, not related to hot water on etc.
Any ideas guys. The tank was sludgy too, and the whole thing is powered by a gas raeburn.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
hi mike ,don't really understand your post. the overflow is high up on the tank, so if water level gets too high it runs out the pipework to outside. the ball valve controls the water coming into the tank ,is it this which is dripping ?

Appreciate swift response.
No ballcock fine. I emptied the tank and noticed cold water seeping up into the tank from the poor at the bottom of the tank. I traced it to the bottom of the boiler. Obviously it eventually makes the tank overflow to the outside. So coming from the boiler.
Cheers.

need more info on your plumbing system. do you have a second ,bigger tank in loft ,and a vented hot water cylinder ?

Sponsored Links
Yep big tank in the loft. A big cylinder in the airing cupboard which gets the hot water pimped up from the raeburn.

any chance of pics of hot water cylinder and pipework going to it ? you may have a problem internally on the cylinder ,allowing domestic hot water to mix with the boiler water . especially if you are seeing water going into the f & e tank in the loft ,when boiler / pump and controls are all " off ".

I was thinking the same as steelmasons. pics as requested ?? lets see what isolation valves you have ,if any.

Will send tomorrow morning guys as at my dad's. Really appreciate the help.

Here is the piping going in.
X8nByY

WAjBUU

Not great pics I know. Water that comes out of the pipe in header tank is cold. Could it be downstairs shower?
Thanks chaps

can't access the pics ,tried and got some of inside a boat ,or caravan in bad nick !!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back