Leaking Hot Water Cylinder & Hot water not heating prope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have a standard Central Heating system (Ideal Boiler about 8 years old) with a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard.

Just recently the hot water cylinder has developed a leak. Luckily this is shortly to be replaced under the British Gas 3* Cover - but my question is this:-

Around the same time that I discovered the leak (leaking from near the bottom of the cylinder) I noticed that the hot water didn't seem to be heating up as hot as it normally is.. It's sometimes luke warm and sometimes reasonably hot, but not as hot as it normally ... I also noticed there doesn't seem to be as much hot water either - run a bath and it runs very cold quickly ....

The Leak I have is not that bad - so the water isn't exactly gushing out of the tank (!) - its more of a slow drip - but - can this have anything to do with the hot water not heating up properly? British Gas seemed to think it must be something independent when I told them.. I have noticed that (and I tried this also with the central heating/room stat turned right up) that the boiler doesn't seem to 'fire up' straight away - it kind of makes a quiet contstant 'ticking' sound - it then fires up after a while but the rads didn't get very hot either. I have also noticed that the flu outside (when heating water only in the past few days) doesn't seem to die down - the noise seems constant from it - I thought when the water reaches temperature (60 degrees) that is should then fire down?

I don't know what's happening here but if anyone might be able to shed any light on this I would be grateful. I have British Gas coming over the next few days to sort the tank out (replace it) but just be interested to know before then as to whether the hot water not heating properly could be related in any way to this leak?

Cheers for any advice

Sponsored Links
can this have anything to do with the hot water not heating up properly?
No

From what you have told me I think you would be best getting that checked out. Its difficult to speculate without seeing it but I would be checking out your gas pressure at the boiler for starters and suspecting sulphidisation in the pipework if the readings were low. A competent corgi engineer on the job is better placed to home in on the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back