Hot water woes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

Excellent advice in the forum, but nothing that seems to relate to my particular problem!.

I have no hot water, but the central heating is fine.

It started after we had a leak yesterday, which was down to a faulty ballcock valve in the smaller tank in the loft (I have two tanks, one smaller than the other, above the hot water cylinder). A plumber came in and fixed it, but then the heating and hot water would not work.

I managed to sort out the problem with the central heating, which was down to trapped air in the pump, but the hot water will still not get hot.

I have tried joining the hot water and cold water together at the bath tap to try expel air, but still no joy.

Any advice before I call the plumber again? He is a decent chap, but always seems to cock it up!

Cheers

Russ

Sponsored Links
Make sure the stopcock from the bigger tank upstairs to the bottom of the copper hot water cylinder hasn't been turned off....or do you mean you have water but it dont heat up?. If the latter is the case we need more system details and what work had been carried out prior to noticing the ballcock in the loft was faulty. In a nicely running system f&e tank ballcocks don't move so generally will only develop fault after some sort of incident

If he drained water out it's possible you now have air in the "boiler" pipes which heat the HW cylinder. Find 'em and look for some sort of bleed point - operated by spanner, or rad key, or screwdriver, or just fingers. Usually at the top of an upward pointing stalk of pipe, at the side of the cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back