central heating is working, but no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a 20 year old conventional glowworm central heating system (2 water tanks in loft, a hot water cylinder in airing cupboard). The central heating works okay: boiler is working and radiators are hot. However, there is no hot water. To be more precise, the water from the hot water tap is initially hot/warm, but the flow is very small, and after a while the water just completely stops.
What could be the problem? Any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
check the cold water cistern in the loft. i bet it's empty.

Hi
If the cold water cistern is empty, what is the cause and how to fix it? thanks.

Are all hot water taps like this or just one tap ? If loft tank is not filling the ball valve is suspect ,replacements are around ten quid.

Sponsored Links
check it first. there are probably two, one large one that feeds the hot water tank, the other for the boiler. the fill valve is probably stuck , or the feed pipe is frozen

all the hot taps are like this. could it be the motorised valve faulty? It's a Drayton 3 port valve and I saw the black indicator is at "H".

it feeds the hot water cylinder and if it's empty you get no hot water.

all the hot taps are like this. could it be the motorised valve faulty? It's a Drayton 3 port valve and I saw the black indicator is at "H".

Motorised valve has nothing to do with flow to hot taps - water to hot taps comes from tank in loft via cylinder, (where it gets heated by exchange from the coil) and then to each outlet.

Have you manipulated any ballofix/gate/lever/stopcock valves recently?

But as said... just go check the tank... how hard can that be?

thanks for all your suggestions. I checked the loft tank and there is water. The ball valve seems open as I can hear water dripping in from the inlet. I then checked all the hot water taps. It seems the kitchen hot tap downstairs is much better than the upstairs taps where the water flow is a trickle. The water is warm/hot though. I haven't touched any valves lately. Any ideas? many thanks,

The large tank in loft should be around two thirds full ,not just a few inches .Is it ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back